rend lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by big-muddy, May 20, 2008.

1. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the channels are starting to turn on at rend lake.(if they ever werent) i fished the waltonville dam with my new safari rod from 3 to 5:30pm yesterday. caught 6 from 3 to 10 pounds on live shad fishing bottom from the bank. its a little warmer out today so i'm gonna go try again at the same spot a little later and see if i can do the same.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the report Shane. Sure is fun breaking in that new rod, ain't it?

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    oh yeah, i love it. i can cast a mile with that thing and the action is awesome.

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Never fished the dam area... will be looking at camping out there soon... hopefully before the gathering! I want to start jugging again.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    WTG Shane. Keep fishing that new PB could be the next fish you catch.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    went out there again yesterday afternoon. the cat bite was a little slower. jessica caught a 5 pound channel (her first fish) and i got about 10 stripers. the stripers were absolutley goin nuts. brian the waltonville dam is a great spot for some juggin.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im goin out at 5:30 tomorrow morning to fish for crappie with my great uncle. he told me after catching crappie ill want to throw rocks at the catfish. i just smiled and said under my breathe "yeah we'll see about that". should have a report in the morning. oh by the way as i forgot to mention in yesterdays report. a guy fishing at waltonville dam next to us caught a 22 # flathead from the bank with 6# line and a crappie jig. what luck for him!

8. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like they are moving back in from the fields Shane...Have heard a few good reports from people catching a few down that way...How is the Jackie Branch area doing or have you heard?

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    havent been to jackie branch yet. caught 2 in 5 minutes at bonnie dam this evening. a 3 and a 4:big_smile:

10. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the update Shane,
    I am looking forward to catching a few with ya...

11. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is good to know because i love to fish at the bonnie dam

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well the crappie were slow today. we caught around 14 only 6 were keeper size. water is still up so i figure they are back in the brush where we cant reach em. the cats are still bitin though. im gonna go out and see about catchin a few more tonight.

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Looks like I will have to scope that out. Thanks for the reports.

14. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wish i coulda been there. You ever find our stringer?

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    hey kojak! where ya been? haha no never found the stringer but i bet theres a happy turtle down there:big_smile:

16. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mostly I have been working, have a full 8-5 job now that is in carbondale. I live in West Frankfort so by the time i get home...im beat. Anyway summer is here now and I am looking forward to doin some fishin. My father in law already has a jump on me with a couple in the 5-10 lb range both from rend and the new west frankfort lake. My main problem is now I dont have access to a boat, since i spent the money on a new computer........darn winter, didn't think i needed a boat. Anyway, ill be seeing you all alot more now that fishing season had kicked back up.

Kojak

17. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Looking forward to seeing you post some nice pics Kojak...Catch the Father-in-law and show him how it's done...

18. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    well any new reports on REND?

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the pre-spawn bite is on. i am tearing em up on the rip-rap on live shad. caught three channels last night. could have had more but i ran outta lead.

20. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Thanks for the info Shane. Did you have any problem getting shad? Last weekend the shad were extremely difficult. I think they (shad) have started spawning.