Rend Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ldw45, Sep 22, 2007.

1. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    They are still hitting at Rend. Caught 13 yesterday on garlic shrimp, most were in the 4-5# range drifting Gun Creek in the afternoon. They were in about 6-7' of water.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Dean, thanks for the report. I was hoping to squeeze in a late season trip to Rend this fall, but I don't think it will happen. But next summer - watch out! :big_smile:

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Pretty deep.. each time I went it seemed like they only wanted 2-3 foot of water. Then again, I was fishing during night mostly.

Thinking in 2 weekends from now, might be back at Rend... or Carlyle. Not sure which, but we got the camper and need to take her out! :smile2:

Aaron.. definetely need to convince that wife of your to go camping or in the boatel at Rend next season. LOL. We can spend some time out there on the lake!

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    thanks dean. ill be goin down there tomorrow morning(tuesday) if anyone would like to hop on the boat, i have an extra seat.

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Saturday was another good day at Rend for my Brother and I. Caught 37 with the biggest being 8#. Also caught an 8# drum....wow, thought I had a dandy channel till that thing broke water. Oh well, it was a charge playing him. They were in deeper water than the week before, 12-14' of water. Jackie Branch was closed due to low water so we put in at the ramp just east of there, as I remember it was across from the entrance to Wayne Fitzgerald park on the south side. Just west of there we went under the bridge on 154. Spent the morning drifting along and north of 154. Was interesting that as long as the wind was blowing they were biting. The wind layed and the bite quit immediately.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    dean, glad your still catching 'em. i was heading to that same spot last night but the trip was cut short when i blew a tire on the trailer. oh well, ill get em next time.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I sure wish Rend was closer to home for me. I like it there, but I can't make that long drive everytime I want to fish!

8. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Son and I were on Rend Yesterday around the Jackie Branch area. Bite was slow....we caught 8 smaller ones in the 2# range. The low water is the pitts.... Son was launching the boat and backed further in than I usually do... trailer dropped off the end of the concrete on the ramp and wow.....I thought we were going to have to go in that 49 degree water and lift it out....

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am scared to go fishing anymore... the water levels are frightening low.

Thanks for the update. Aaron and I didn't do well at Baldwin Lake either. We got 1 drift in but the water was so bad (waves) that we had to get off the lake or get tossed out. Was a poor day fishing on Sunday for us.

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    its youth duck season right now, so the water north of the subimpoundment dam is high, but its off limits and the water south of the dam is pretty much gone. ive been fishing a smaller lake around here and doin pretty good on crappie, but i havent caught a cat in a while. Is it Spring yet??:wink:

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I don't think I am going to make it until spring.... :eek:oooh:

12. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane, The other day I took the Ina exit west, What about the first boat ramp on the right and the stumps across that neck. It looked similar to areas I've fished up at Carlyle. Have you fished that area, do you know if it is still open to fishing?

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yes the ina boat ramp. anywhere south of the subimpoundment dams is still open to fishing, but i dont have to tell you how low the water is there. you have to be able to launch your boat with less than a foot of draft.

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    So.. kayaking for catfish anyone? :eek:oooh:

15. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Shane, I don't plan to try it this fall but will next spring. I liked the looks of that area.....especially out in those stumps. Hope the move to the big city is working out ok

16. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well the idea of getting on the highway and driving through the middle of the city every day to go to work is kinda digusting but its goin alright. yes, that is a great place to fish when the water is high. me and my stepdad caught a lot of cats out there on trotlines. get urself a topo map and ull see there is a nice channel running through there.

17. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane glad to hear you are doing OK in the Big City...Looking forward to spring already...I have been out deer hunting and not being doing so well...I have not put any time into the woods and it is showing this year...Those deer are very smart and have out-witted me this year for sure...One little Doe about 80lbs...So far this deer shotgun season...Been seeing them but to far away from me...almost like they are dancing when I see them...and maybe even sticking out there tounge....lol

18. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im glad to see at least someone is catching fish. Myself, I havent been able to go since muddy and I went to rend a couple months back. Keep up the good work guys.

Kojak

19. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone fishing Rend? Been thinking about giving it a try this week if the weather cooperates.

20. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    was just looking at the creek and river stages for the area around here and it looks as if they are all showing + to the raise level, it may not be much, but as you know any helps especially after this past summer, I would think if a fella found some fresh water it may just be the ticket this time of year, let us know how you do if ya make it out.
    Randy