Rend Lake?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Gringoloco, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Anybody been out to Rend Lake yet to fish for Cats this season? I was thinking about heading out there this Saturday, bringing some crawlers, liver, stink bait, and my cast net to get some shad. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck out there yet? I havent fished Rend Lake in 14 years but I remember all the good bank spots. But I always went out night fishing with my dad, I have never fished there during the day.

2. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I WAS WONDERING THE SAME. MY DAD AND i WERE TALKING ABOUT THEM HITTING THERE YET BUT NEITHER OF US HAVE HEARD ANYTHING. I LOVE TO FISH OFF THE bONNIE DAM AND HAVE HAD GOOD AND BAD LUCK THERE BUT i AM NOT VERRY FAMILER WITH THE WHOLE LAKE AND ANY BETTER CAT FISHING SPOTS AT ALL MAYBE YOU COULD SHARE YOUR SECRET HOLES FOR THAT BIG LAKE HA HA HA!!!! ONLY IF YOU WANT TOO GOOD LUCK IF YOU DO GO THIS WEEKEND AND LET US KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY LUCK

3. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I will be at Rend this comming weekend, the 24th & 25th. Cats Should be biting, the weather is supposed to be in the 70's. I'll Be at the campground fishing off the rocks. Usually catch nice channels 3 to 7 lbs. They fit on a plate nicely. I always loose tackle on the rocks, but I spent the winter making new rigs so i'm ready.

4. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Which campground do you mainly fish? I went out there and only one was open and nothing was biting at all after 5 hours, so we ended up going to Carlyle Lake spillway and they were biting good there.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You might want to try the creek channel in the Gun Creek area between I57 and Route 37 for starters.There is an old road way that comes in on the north side and goes under water. This should be good.:lol:

6. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Josh,
    What were you catching at Carlyle?

7. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Below the spillway I witnessed two channels over 5 caught on crawlers while the rest of the channels were caught on shad guts. I personally tried cut shad, shrimp, and crawlers for ten hrs last sat with no luck. Bluecatnut and I fished into the twilight hrs with no luck either. But the temp was 35. co worker said there were two flatties carcassses down by the suspension bridge sun afternoon. Thats all I know, Dru

8. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    This was below Carlyle. Attention Gringoloco, PM me if you would like to fish together. Had a blast with fellow brother bluecatnut

XDru

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    We caught quite a few nice size eating channels when we were at the Carlyle Spillway.

10. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    No problem man, I will shoot you a pm the next time we are heading out that way. I will be heading to the Chain of Rocks here soon as well, have you ever fished down there?

11. firefighteremtb78

firefighteremtb78 New Member

State:
    IL
    Chain of Rocks is crazy right now. People casting over each other and gettin pissed because they got tangled up. They are shoulder to shoulder all the way down the bank. And that stupid traffic i sat there for 13 mintues before I got fed up and went on the red. I got to the other side and it was red to what is the deal with that crap. There was a line up of cars on both sides. I forsee chain of rocks gettin marked off my list.

12. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    went out to Chain of Rocks on saturday.. all snaggers, but the environment wasnt as bad as i thought it would be . i did get tangled with a couple of people, but as long as you're taking turns with the guys next to you, it was fun.. I was talking to several guys who fish here often and they mentioned this place was mainly good for fishing during september. Only one decent sized channel catfish was accidently snagged today (about 4 lbs), while about 10 paddlefish, 40-50 bighead carp, 10 walleye, 5-10 sturgeon, and 10 miscellaneous fish were snagged as well. Seems that catfish arent there at this time

13. firefighteremtb78

firefighteremtb78 New Member

State:
    IL
    How big where the sturgeon? I would have like to seen that

14. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I was at Rend Lake the last weekend of March. The only camp area open during winter months is Wayne Fitsgerrel Lakeside loop. Tightlined fished with crawlers for about three hours off the rocks, had bites but reeled nothing in, went mushroom hunting. Sunday morning about 7:30 tried again with jumbo wigglers, caught ten channels above 3 lbs., half females fat with eggs which I released, four small stripped bass about five blue gill, all by noon.