Rend lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by abridge, Oct 31, 2006.

1. abridge

abridge New Member

State:
    illinois
    ill be in benton in late november, just curious how rend lake is that time of the year

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Catfishing is slow to fair with some channels being caught in the Gun Creek area near I57 bridge. Later this month they should be on the challel edged. This should give you a starting place. Good Fishing.

3. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mickey, You are evidently quiet familiar with Rend Lake. Having just moved back to So. Il. I would like to fish there but am unfamiliar with the lake. What areas are best for Channels.

By the way, we are only a few miles apart. I am northwest of Cypress.

4. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Dean welcome to the BOC. Yes we do live close. There are lots of areas of rend lake that hold channels year around. I like the gun creek area and most of the channels. There is plenty of wood and riprap to fish when they start relating them. I might mention that you have several good lakes closer than rend. My choise for this area is Crab Orchard. You can expect to catch some nice fish here. Channel, Blue, and Flatheads. Maybe we can catch a cup of coffie some day. Hope this is of help.

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mickey, Second hand information I get on Crab Orchard is that contamination levels are such that it is not recommended to eat the catfish caught there...... what is your take on this? And would enjoy meeting sometime for a cup.

6. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Each year testing levels are made for PCB, Mercury and etc. The area most affectived is the area east of Route 148. This areas level are not recommended to eat very often. However as you go west the toxic measured levels began to drop. From Wolf Creek road west the levels are better and moderate eating is ok. Most fisherman fish the west areas for fun and eating. I do also.Reports of testing can be obtained from Bureau of Fish and Wildlife at Rt.148.

Sorry it took so long to answer back. I hope this helps.

7. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Mickey, plan to give it a try this spring. You ever fish near the Mounds grain loading facility? Caught a 20# channel there last summer.

8. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Yes Dean I use to fish the Mounds grain loading area alot. There are a lot of fish caught there each year. I have seen 200# stringers of channel and blues come from there about two weeks into the loading season. The sour grain acts as a magnet for the fish.

9. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    I like to fish at the Ohio river at Mound also....Does it seem to you that the fishing has fall off to what it was 4 years ago?

10. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Howard the fishing picks up when the grain is being loaded into the barges. The grain when sour draws catfish from all over the river.If it is slow just keep going back it will pick up.:lol: :smile2:

11. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    I start fishing there in June and go all summer long and it just don't seem to be as good as it was 4 year ago.:angry:

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yeah i went last night to three different spots and got nothing but gar using live cut shad heads. wind was blowing to the north and i fished the waltonville subimpoundment without even a bite.