rend lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hock_paul, Jul 8, 2009.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I'm taking my girlfriend camping at rend lake on friday morning. We're gonna try to get some meat fish and do a little boating. I was wondering if anybody else is headed that way this weekend.:0a23::0a22:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul good luck on your rend fishing trip. Give us an update on how it goes.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Isn't it supposed to rain and be crappy this weekend? I am gettign used to poor weather on weekends when I can actually go fishing! :cry:

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Ive got a tournament there soon what part of the lake is productive this time of year. Ive never fished it. I heard there were lots of smaller channel cats in it.

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Mostly channel cat with the occassional flathead in there. The flats are hard to find for me! Though I see noodlers pull them out.

Best bait I can tell you is garlic salted shrimp. Fish smaller baits like that because there isn't a whole lot of big boys in that lake from my experience <which is minimal in comparisson to others!>

6. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    It is supposed to rain on saturday, but at least I'll have friday to enjoy the sun.:wink: Besides, as long as it ain't blowin' hard, I don't too much mind fishin' in the rain. As far as the fishing goes, Jason, the lake is filled with 1.5-3lb. fish. Cut shad is my bait of choice out there, but like Brian said, shrimp can put a hurtin' on em' too. Drifting the main lake has always been the most productive for me, especially south of the 154 bridge. You can see the old river channels on your electronics and I usually try to concentrate my drifts over those areas. Although the lakes' average size on channels is only 2lbs., I have caught plenty of fish upwards of ten and better. I don't think I've ever caught one drifting though. Most of these fish have been caught at night in shallow water around structure. Flatheads- good luck buddy, I've caught a handfull out there and it's always been by mistake. I stick to rivers when it comes to the brown ones. :big_smile:

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Well brian was right, this weekend was pretty much a wash out.:sad2: I didn't hardly get to put a rod in the water, for the little bit of clear weather we did have, my girlfriend wanted to either swim or cruise around the lake. Which wasn't very disagreeable with me. I'm going back on the last week of july with 10 buddies, which is always a hell of a time and there is no shortage of time spent fishing on that trip I assure you.

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Looks like I am heading out there Friday night and pull out at SUnday. Will see if weather is more cooperative for me!

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    fish shallow at night right now. im talkin like 3 feet.

10. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    GOOD LUCK Brian, I think the weather is supposed to be perfect this weekend. Are you headed down with your folks?

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Ya. My folks are going out there Friday morning. I am going to bring the boat that night. Plan on jetting right off of work.

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Well, good luck Brian and I hope that you and your family get some better weather than I did.:big_smile:

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thanks Paul...

And you still need to call me ab out some river fishing sometime! Take my river virginity :wink:

14. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Brian, We drifted the mouth of Gun Creek yesterday neting 20 most of which went around 5#. Caught them in around 18' of water on garlic salted shrimp.