Rend lake weekend

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hock_paul, Aug 4, 2008.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I got back from rend lake Sun. night, and what a weekend of fishing. We wound up catching enough fish for the freezer by Friday morning, and the fishing never let up afterwards. On Thursday morning we boated 6 channels over ten pounds, and another 45 eaters. The big ones were caught in shallow water very early in the morning on live bluegill(we were flathead fishing) the rest were caught drifting with cut shad on various sections of the lake. The fishing was great all weekend and the lake conditions were perfect. I'll have to get some pictures posted soon, but i have'nt boated a flatty yet this year and was kind of waiting for that. Maybe my luck will change this weekend!:cross: GOOD FISHING!:wink:

2. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man, I should of looked a little harder for your boat, or at least next time we will exchange phone#. I went out Friday night at about 7pm, it was supposed to have been earlier but the wife had to do some "shopping" and I got stuck watching kids after work. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it(really I didn't completely have the boat ready anyway). Long story short, we put in at Gun Creek, went caught some bait, and started fishing. I put out 25 jugs along the rip rap of hwy 37. After that we started doing some drifting. There wasn't much wind just enough to barely keep the boat straight. Night came and guess what, somehow my bow light wire had been knocked off so the next 45 min was spent rigging the light so that I didn't get a ticket. While fixing the light I got a very good bite and reeled in a nice channel that went about 3# (garlic shrimp). We decided to move because the bite in the area we were in was very slow. The next spot produced only one more a little smaller. Went to check the jugs............not even a bite, still had bait on most of them. Oh, also boat didn't want to run very well, we will just blame that on user error:embarassed: someone, not saying who, didn't open the vent on the fuel tank.:embarassed::embarassed::angry: Oh well some days are just better than others. Glad you had a good time at Rend Paul. We will definately have to try to get together next time you make it this way. Ill leave my bad luck at home..I promise.

3. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    That's a bummer about your boat follies. We've all been there though!:confused2: One of our best nights came right outside of gun creek, on the large shallow flat on the right side if your heading out to the main lake. I do believe that it was Friday night too, because my girlfriend got eaten alive that night!(them skeeters love the marinara!)lol. We'll definetely have to hook up some time soon, i don't geet down there as often as i used to, but ti is my favorite place to go. I'll let you know the next time i head your direction! :wink: GOOD FISHING BUDDY!

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    What section of lake were you at Paul?

5. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    We camp in south sandusky, but pretty much fished(drifted) the main lake south of the 154 bridge during the day, concentrating our efforts along the river and adjacent creek channels. At night, we fished a little shallower, on points or flats on the main lake. Believe it or not, the numbers were greater over all, during daylight while drifting. We didn't do quite as well drifting at night. We caught some big channels in shallow water on thursday night, though. We were fishing the inside of the left point as your are pulling into sandusky. Drifting during the day seemed to be spotty at times. Seems like you'd drift for an hour and catch 2 fish, then all of a sudden, it was 2 poles loaded up at the same time for 45 minutes with nothing different about the structure or depth. Maybe something small that i did'nt pick up on.(to busy catching fish!LOL)We also fished way up in gun creek for flatties one night, but caught nothing. Good luck next time you go and i hope this helps! GOOD FISHING!

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Sounds like the fish might be moving out of gun creek and heading further northside of the lake? Interesting.