Rend Lake Water Level

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Don Wessling, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I just want to send out a warning if you take a boat out on Rend. The water level has dropped a lot in the last couple of weeks and working in a local boat shop I'm seeing the results, torn up props, destroyed lower units, and one boat came in with a hole in the transom where the motor used to be. Be very carefull out there.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the warning, Don. I know it can be treacherous out there. The last thing any of us needs is extensice damage to a boat or a serious injury.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    its the lowest its been in 33 years. the spillway has completely stopped. i hope we have a really harsh winter and spring:crazy:

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    wow, i went out there today and if you can believe it, they still have the reverse pumps on at the subimpoundment dams.:eek:oooh:

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    They must be aiming for the lowest water level since 1890

6. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I go across it every morning coming home, its still low. Gun Creek is nothing but stumps.

It the spillway still stopped?

Jerry

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yep, its stopped. i guess the lake is calling it a year. im calling the idnr to find out if its ok to put in a boat and fish the north side of the subimpoundment. the water level is pretty good up there.

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Only worry when they call Rend Lake... Rend Lakes due to the drying up and seperation of connected bodies of water. :smile2:

9. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane, be carefull if your trying to fish the "tater patch" they waterfowl hunt at. The first time i saw some one shoot at another person was there! That was back when they had first come first launch at the boat ramp!

Brian, I'll start to worry when you see the old farm silo sticking up out of the water!

Jerry

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I thought that was an island. :wink:

11. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just got back from the spillway. Its bone dry! I wish I had my pole, I would have rigged up a lighter rig and went down to the Big Muddy "down stream" and tried my hand at some cats, if it was deep enough.

Jerry

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    They said its ok to fish north of the dam before november 22nd. i went out there but it was too windy on that side. im just running a 17# thrust trolling motor. i fished the south side and i broke off the prop on a stump that was in the middle of the boat lane. im not goin out anywhere north of 154 again until the water comes up at least a foot. got a couple good lookin crappie. be careful out there.

13. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Was on Rend yesterday. Caught 18 that went from 2-4#. Lake is still very low even with the recent rains.

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Arg! Too much life stuff happening and I can't fish!

Father had his surgery and will be going home tomorrow. So at least I dont need to sit in the hospital anymore! Maybe next weekend I can sit on the bank and fish at Baldwin.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hope they get yer pop lined out soon BW, need someone to keep ya inline! :wink: