Rend Lake spillway

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by 187um, Feb 1, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i have a few questions about the spillway. the one off of 37 i only know of the one spillway but anyway for those of you rend lake fisherman. i am new to this southern ill area i always ask where to catch cats at most people say crab or rend. if they do say rend they always say at the spillway i have been to the spillway and not too sure where to fish there is the spot where the water runs out of the damn at the bottom and then there is the standing water at the top of the dam. where should i be???

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Rob I have never fish the spillway at Rend lake. But I can tell you when i was younger I use to fish the pooling water bellow the spillway in Silver lake and catch alot of cats and then I used to fish the rip rap on top of the spillway in Washington lake and do very well. So I say if the spot look fishy try it. They might come from up top or down below. you never know until you try, good luck to ya!

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you wanna get some shad and when you go to the parking lot on the west side of the dam, (under the spillway) walk toward the water and follow it down until it breaks off to a spot where it is a lot wider, right at that spot, throw out your shad. i usually use just the head. you will tear up channels and the occasional flathead. you will probably have problems with gar here and there but keep at it, cause theres alot of cats down there when the current is running. in the spring its usually really high so you might need some chest waders to get there. be careful if you do, theres alot of riprap there.

4. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanx a lot man you've been awsome with the info i really appreciate it. i will definatley let u know how i do!

5. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    when i fish the spillway i use a 3 way rig with about a 2lb. sinker line so it breaks easy. i use shad for bait and cast right in the stream at the bottom of the spillway and tighten the line up once the sinker gets snagged. when a good size fish takes off it pretty much hooks its self with the circle hooks i use. the only draw backs to it is you lose lots of sinkers and your bait can get stolen u might not know it. i've caught a lot of cats anywhere from 3-10 lbs this way. my main line i use is about 50 lbs. but still breaks on some fish since it rubs against the rocks