Rend Lake spillway overrun with gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by big-muddy, May 24, 2007.

1. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    all you illinois guys if you like catchin gar(i dont) go to the rend lake spillway in benton. the back of the current is loaded with gar. i made an attempt at catfishing, but there were swarms of gar swimming by and i couldnt get my bait in the water without it gettin hit. i hate catchin em, but if you do , then go on and tear em up. they werent this bad a couple weeks ago.

2. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    too bad i dont live around there. I would clean em out for ya. I love catchin gar, you gotta try it sometimes (while not catfishing) they put up a great fight (the bigger ones). so if the catfish bite is slow, go try for some gar. just dont break their beaks:crazy:

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yeah, i used to do all that stuff like throwin em on the bank and all that, but i got over that stuff. nobody likes to see a lakeshore stinkin with dead gar.

4. cicnolo

cicnolo New Member

State:
    ne. CENTRA
    THOSE OF US THAT KNOW HOW GOOD THEY TASTE ARE REALLY SADDEND TO SEE THEM ON THE BANK.

5. catfishin91

catfishin91 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used to live in Mt. Vernon, we used to go to the spillway to fish all the time. We fished under the bridge near it and caught a lot of cat, as many times as i've fished there, we've never seen anyone else fishing there. Also lost my favorite lure at the bottom of spillway to who knows what. Great place to fish IMO

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    go bowfishin....seen some monster shot on tv

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I was up in the mouth of a creek the other day throwing the net for shad. Saw a big school of fish, chucked the net, and found it wasn't a school of shad, but a bunch of small/medium gar spawning...That was a fun 20 minutes getting 8 of them out of the net. I don't throw them on the bank or kill them, but I do use them for cut bait if that's all thats available.

8. tking

tking New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was at the spillway today from abt 8 till noon and all i caught was a carp we couldnt even catch ne gar. weve been waitin for the water to go down so we can fish the open are neone got ne advice on fishin for ne kind of game in that spillway(presentation/lure-bait,time) and btw i agree i hate walkin down there and seein all kinds of dead gar and carp along the shoreline i wish there werent so many in the spillway but i think we could find something better to do with them