Rend Lake Saturday

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Kojak, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, ol Dillon and I set out this weekend to tackle Rend lake. We were very pleased with this visit. The day started with the launching of two boats the old guys (my father in law and his friend) then there were us youngsters. Within just a few minutes of starting our drift at Gun Creek, Dillon and I had both landed about 4 fish, the old guys 2 lol. Anyway long day short Dillon and I ended up with 18 decent size fish by about noon. By then it was getting too hot to even tie a knot. I ended up with a pretty good sunburned head, and finally beat Dillon on the biggest fish of the day....but not by much. Next weekend I plan on going back to Rend but this time we will be introducing a new member to the team, my 6 year old daughter Aeris. I am sure in the coming years I will have alot of competition amongst family.

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    And the bait of choice?

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    when i saw the weather report for yesterday, i decided to keep it inside for the day. today i got the boat all finished up and ready for its maiden voyage tommorow. its supposed to be 85 degrees and sunny so i think its gonna be a good day.

4. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    well fellers i am heading out there on monday morn i think i am gonna put in by the golf club and go torwards 154 then maybe 57 and 37 the only bait i have is 4 pieces of cajon garlic shrimp and some night crawlers so i hope i do good

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    MIght need to see about getting yourself some garlic salted shrimp.. buy the bags at Walmart of unpeeled shrimp. They come in a potato sack kind of thing and works beautifully!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerred glad to hear you are becoming a regular on rend lake. Sounds like you are getting that drifting down to a science. Keep us posted on your results.

7. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois

Ummmmmmm........Thats all I use...pretty much ever to be honest.:smile2:

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    where did u put in at?

9. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We put in At Gun Creek, same place where we put in for the gathering fishing night. Only, this time, I caught some fish.

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    LOL. At least there are fish to be caught! Sounds like they are moving back into the gun creek area which is definetely a bonus. I have done pretty well in there.

11. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, if you ever make it back this way maybe we can go together and really tear them up. By the way, I used your drift rig that you showed me. Turns out it works pretty good for me. Thanks for the info.

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well that is awesome to hear buddy. Glad to hear that the drift rig is doing rather well for ya. It is still my most favorite rig by far and has increased my catches.

I'd love to make it up to Rend sometime and maybe do a bit of drifting with ya.

13. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    My brother and I fished Gun Creek area yesterday. Started around 10:00 a.m. which is much later than I would have liked to start. Used garlic salted shrimp & ended up with 18 keepers. Quit around 3 p.m. when wind shifted to northeast. Bite turned off like someone had thrown a switch.

14. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well that is awesome to hear buddy. Glad to hear that the drift rig is doing rather well for ya. It is still my most favorite rig by far and has increased my catches.

I'd love to make it up to Rend sometime and maybe do a bit of drifting with ya

Brian, How about posting that drift rig you use. I've been using 1/2 oz. weight, two circle hooks #4 snelled at 3" & 6" above it.

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    this is what i use

Attached Files:

16. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im heading out there at 5 in the morning tommorrow. would go tonight but i wanna watch the allstar game. any body want to meet up out there im putting in at gun creek.

17. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It is nice to hear from you again Dean. Missed you this year at the gathering.

18. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Hey, Hold the Phone, I think Mister Brian H is trying to pull a fast one on you boy's. I camped beside him at Rend Lake and that is not the rig he had on his poles , when I slipped over to his campsite at 1am in the morning to steal his watermelons. He had his poles on his boat and they all had a pink snoopy cork on them!!! NOT the split cork, come on BRIAN,fess up bub.HEE!HEE!:eek:oooh::big_smile::roll_eyes::tounge_out:

BIGCAT GarryEads

19. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    He did tell you to keep that a secret Garry.:smile2::wink::roll_eyes: Besides Brian sais only a real catfisherman can bring in a 10#blue on a snoopy rod. I am going to try my luck this weekend with my 7yr old daughters Little Princess rod and reel.

20. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Uh oh, Brian - looks like your secret is out! :wink::smile2: