Rend Lake results - We got a flathead Finally!!!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by riverrat85, Jul 29, 2007.

1. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    started off on the wrong foot. friday night denise caught the first channel weighing at 4lbs. when she swung it into the boat so it wont get off it stuck an inch and a half into my left leg! Then after useing the needlenose pliers to rip it out, it then sliced my hand when i went to put it in the livewell. i ate the one all by myself! :big_smile: We went to check the trot lines saturday and guess what we had!!!!!! a flatty!!! i know it wasnt on a rod and reel but i had to start somewhere. All together we caught 28 channels and 1 flathead which weighed in at.............drum roll............ 35 lbs 13 oz.! it was freakin huge! i dont have anything to size down the pics so can someone size it down for me so i can post it. thanks

travis

2. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    nevermind i figured it out. here he is all 35 lbs of him.

Attached Files:

3. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alright Brother,
    I just knew your time was coming....Great job you 2...Thanks so much for the picture...I am so proud for you and Aaron both have worked really hard for them and deserve them...:smile2::big_smile::wink:

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Attaboy!!! Glad you finally got one. Now you have to catch a bigger one on rod and reel! :wink:

5. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Congratulations Shane!! Now you need to catch one on rod and reel. You can't imagine what a 35 like that will pull on a rod. I don't know much about catching flatties on a lake. I think you fish the Kaskaskia though. Find a brushpile on an outside bend or one in fairly deep water for the area. Anchor in front of it, fish live bluegill or shad on the front edge. Move in about 30 minutes if no bites. You will get a big one sooner or later.
    PS. tell Denise not to maim her fishing partner LOL
    :big_smile:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Ha ha! i wish that was me. thats actually Travis! i was suppossed to be there but i had to play a gig that night. Awesome fish Travis! Congrats, bro!

7. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    lol shane bud u missed out. the weather was perfect...alittle choppy but still good. I cant imagine what a biggun like that felt on a rod and you know what, i thought once i was finally able to put a big flat like that in my hands that all this build up would stop but its not. i want a bigger one now! I want one on a rod N reel!! im obscessed guys!!! is there a pill i can take for this ??:smile2:

8. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    i tell you what though...when that cat stuck his stinger into my leg ..i dont think i have ever felt that much pain in my life. He had to flip and flop with his darn stinger deep in me . denise almost cried lol she felt pretty bad but i told her it was ok. its not like it was on purpose. :wink: i think she found a way out to bump me off and make it look like an accident lol

9. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    CONGRATS ON THAT FISH TRAVIS ,NICE!!!!!!!

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Nice fish buddy!!! Here is the avatar you wanted!!!

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    that catfin must have been some hell. i forgot to ask, how deep was the water you caught the flat in? ive been trying to put some proof to my heat, oxygen and depth theory:wink:

12. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that catfin must have been some hell. i forgot to ask, how deep was the water you caught the flat in? ive been trying to put some proof to my heat, oxygen and depth theory:wink:.

Hows that been going for you? I myself tried it out again with not a whole lot of luck. I did catch one in the 5# range in about 8 inches of water Saturday morning.

13. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    we caught him on a drop off from 2 foot to 10 foot.

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    so far its been proven more oft than not. i have never caught a fish in the summer months in any thing deeper than 12'.

15. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Sorry about the mixup Travis LOL :eek:oooh:I do hope Shane catches one too.

16. DetectDave

DetectDave New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That certainly is a nice one. We hit the water abit Sat aft and Sun AM. Managed three channels averaging about 2.5# each. Lots of hits but no takers on the jugs baited w/ that garlic shrimp for sure. I did the same thing w/ the livers and they kept stripping my circle hooks. Congrats on that big flattie!!!

17. gillage

gillage New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Very very NICE fish, congrats

18. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Thats a nice one Travis, don't quit though, there are bigger ones out there. A friend of mine caught one earlier in the week nere the Marina that pegged his 50# scale. I can't imagine the pain from your mishap, I've been nicked on the hands a lot, there must be some kind of cemical on those barbs, it hurts.

19. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    i cannot imagine anything bigger than our 35lber. i bet it would take an hour to get a fish that big in on a rod n reel.