Rend Lake in Illinois

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lord_zainan, May 7, 2006.

1. lord_zainan

lord_zainan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been reading through the forums and archives and have learned more on here than what I have figured out on my own in the last two years. Thanks to everyone. Now, for my first post, I want to 'share the wealth.' The channels and the flatheads are almost begging to be caught at Rend Lake. More specifically, at the North end of the lake at the subimpoundment are. It is better known as the Bonnie Dam to us locals. (If you need directions to it, you can find them at the Rend Lake website or you can message me.) They have been hitting Shad, cut-bait, and chicken-liver with garlic salt.

2. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Lord zainan, welcome to the B.O.C. Rend lake is a great lake to FISH.

BIGCAT GarryEads:smile2:

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Alexander.

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I had to go to the Funeral of an Uncle last weekend and drove over Rend Lake twice on I-57. I would love to fish that lake. You could spend a lifetime there and never fish the same place twice I think. It is one Beauiful lake.

5. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Will be heading there Friday the 19th of this month with some of the guys from Church for a camp out and fishing frenzy. We'll be having at least one pontoon boat and I think we are going to be fishing at least most of the morning. What is a good size circle hook for REND LAKE for blues or flats, I've got some 4's and 5's but I figure I might need to pick up some other sizes also.

6. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    randy a standard circle hook size for rend is 8/0 u and catch small channel with them and the biggest flathead all in the same hook and when if u can fish at night go to the old highway with hand size bluegil and pin em under the spine and scrape off some scales the send him under i hope this helps

7. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Ya thanks, I guess I thought that a #8 would be way to large for smaller cats but I guess do to the size of their mouth thats not so. Whats a good way to keep gill alive for fishing all night, never fished with bluegill before.

8. lord_zainan

lord_zainan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you have a live well, you can stash them in there. I normally shore fish, and I put my live bait in a wire creel, and sink that down in the water. They keep all night and day if need be.

9. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    or even to the dead woods as i call it alot of big flats in their 65+ lord zainan would have to tell u how to get back thier it has been yrs since i fished their

10. lord_zainan

lord_zainan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dead woods? Sorry, that don't sound familiar. Does it go by any other name? Speaking of other places, has anyone tried below the dam recently? I have been tempted, but I am finaly catching some on the North end of the lake and am wary about trying somewhere else. I know there are some big cats at the spillway, I just haven't had any luck in the last few months convincing them to eat what I have to offer.

11. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    where all the old standing dead trees and stumps are

12. lord_zainan

lord_zainan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oh, okay. The ones I know of are mostly on the Gun Creek spur. (East side of the lake about midway down.) There are a lot of ramps around that area. West Gun Creek and Gun Creek Supplemental Dam both have improved ramps. You can find a .pdf map for all of the ramps and sites at http://www.rendlake.com/files/rendlakestatefishwildlifearea.pdf Hope this helps.

13. howards

howards New Member

State:
    IL.
    The riprap alone the dam could be a hot spot too.

14. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    I just happened to have fished Rend Lake last weekend. I tried every place I was told and used everything they told me and I caught zero crappie on the lake. I did catch 2 cats on a jig and minnow. I gave up on the lake and headed to the spillway. There is a little ditch by the spillway that is always filled with carp and gar, but I did manage 12 crapie and 1 striper in the little ditch. Headed back to the spillway and my 11yr old caught a 5pound carp and my 10yr old caught a 2ft gar. I do know that the cats are really hitting down there now. I fished it alot when I was younger and now was the time of teh year that we really fished the lake for cats.

15. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Does anyone know what the cats are biting on at the present time, going this week end to REND LAKE on Friday night. Figure I'd bring some liver, crawler, stink bait, shrimp and try to catch some bluegill for the bigger fish.

16. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    ill be headin down to rend this saturday also for some flats. hooked into a big one last weekend and kinda got discouraged when he broke me off. i just got antsy and fought to hard. ohh well im gettin the courage back to try again. cant decide either the spillway or the north end. the big one i hooked, i used a 9 inch live shad and used it as a jig in the current. any help where the flats are would be appreciated. thanks

17. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Noted that several of you mentioned using shad at Rend Lake. Wondering if you caught them in the lake? Was there last Wednesday and did not see any evidence of shad to net.

18. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Zainan are you day fishing out there or night fishing?

19. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Went fishing at Rend Fri night and Saturday with guys from Church---didn't catch anything until Saturday afternoon on Geno's stink bait, 2 that weighed about a pound and half and 2 small ones thrown back in to be caught another day. The fishing wasn't good at all some of the guys caught some tiny striper and baby cats Fri night except for that not much.