Rend Lake....HELP!!!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by FlatCatMan, Sep 29, 2008.

1. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am going to Rend here before too long and I am looking for some tips on where to bank fish. I will be there today (the 29th). Thanks in advance for any help!

2. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    I don't fish Rend much from the bank. However, the North end of the lake is by far the most productive for bigger channels and flatties. The lake actually breaks out into two "fingers" on the north end. There are two subimpoundment dams. One is called the Bonnie Subimpoundment dam and the other is the Waltonville subimpoundment dam. I would locate both on a map before I went. I know a lot of people catch a lot of fish from the rocks off the subimpoundment dams. That's where I would head if I had no boat. Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!!:wink:

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree thats the only place i fish when i am not in a boat. I usually fish the side that has the current running in it, which usually when im there is the south side of the dam, but i think sometime around october the switch it and flood the timber on the north side for waterfowl. That is what ive been told so i dont know that it ever switches for sure. Either way i have fished bonnie dam several times and have caught fish all the times but one, that being said ive have not caught one single fish after dark there. I have only fished Waltonville once and caught some small channels so at least i caught fish. Thats all I know abou it hope it helps.

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    they should be turning on the reverse pumps any time now. havent been down there in a while. but like they said fish the side of the dams that have the current. i did better on the bonnie dam this year

5. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    We DEFINITELY needed you on this one Shane!!

6. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I didn't do so hot where I went, but the good news is I am going down there again here soon. I wil be down there October 29th and I am going to try some more fishing. This time I am bringing my throw net with me. The shad were running last time but I had no way to catch them

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am going camping at Wayne Fri, Sat and Sun. Will be at Hickman's Point.. usual spot for those of you who visited me the night before the gathering :big_smile:

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    tear em up and take some pics for me brian!