Rend Lake Catfishing Trip

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by deerhunter4, Jun 3, 2007.

1. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Big Muddy, never made it to the north end of lake by the subimpoundments...We fished mostly jackie branch area and had some pretty good success...

Wife,Kids and I caught 18 fish total we kept and 1 snapping turtle...We tried the the trotline and jugs but had little success...NO success on the trotline...One Nice 2 1/2lb channel on jug and the sapping turtle on the jug...we caught several near the rocks by 154 drifting...enough to make us a nice meal anyway...However I haved learned a few tips from a couple local guy's that I will be trying in the near future....I am posting a few photo's of the trip...and the local fishermens catch...WOW...I was amazed,of course I didn't run into these men until it was time for us to leave....Any way thanks to every one who help guide me in the right direction...
    Paul,Sally and Kids:amazed::haha::hungry:

2. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Forgot to post in my main reply so here they are.......

Attached Files:

3. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here are a few more ...enjoy

Attached Files:

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    glad ya caught some. i had to work and play two shows here in mt. vernon. im probably gonna go out there after work tonight and see what i can do. im still lookin for that annual monster. last year i didnt get a big bluecat till september. of course this year is when i discovered the wonders of cut shad over liver.:smile2:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good grief! :eek:oooh: I've never fished Rend before, but after seeing your pics I am definitely interested!

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thanx for sharein the pics!

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Now I have shown you pictures of a Local guy's catch...Just remember I fished for 2 days and only caught 18 keeper fish...This could not be something that happens everyday...Could it??????

This is just un-real....I am going to do it again for sure...One more time I am sure...It really is a nice Lake...And very friendly people all around...I have always heard it is a catfishermans dream now I am seeing why...

Paul,Sally,and Kids :wink:
    Says
    Fish On

8. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hope your shows went great...Wish you could have went out with me...Maybe next time you can show me the ropes near you...I would love to catch something over 10 pounds sometime.....Maybe one of those big blues or a flattie...good luck fishing tonight and I want you to catch that big annual tonight Bro..... If ya don't it will be ok you just know you have to keep on fishing till ya do...

Paul

9. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you are very welcome for the sharing of the photo's...We love to fish and a good day fishing needs photo's in my opinion...and if you are going to take'em why not show them off......Glad you enjoyed friend...If any one knows that reads this,I would like to know where everyone meets for the yearly BrotherHood of Catfishin tournement...I would really like to have a BOC hat also...They do have them don't they??? If so what do they look like? Do they have a picture of a catfish on them? who do I need to send money to to get one?
    I want everyone to know I am a part of the BOC and what a wounderful way to show it by wearing a hat with those 3 letters and a catfish on it...This has been one of the best groups I have ever been a part of on the internet...Seems like a true brotherhood with lots of good people...

Paul

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If ya would like a BOC hat just move to the rite of the screen, go to the top and click on the hat. It'll tell ya what to do from there. LOL!

11. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks very much....Guess I was just to busy looking at other stuff on the site to see that big hat in the top right corner....Damn...lmao

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yeah the shows went great. played till two in the morning both times, so early morning fishing was outta the question for me!
    rend lake is big hit or big miss. when i have success, i have a lot of success. when i have no success, i catch nothing at all. i still think the north side of the lake is best, but there are so many locals around, everyone is gonna tell ya something different. it is a catfishermans dream, and im lucky to live 10 minutes from there.
    when i was a young'en i lived in waltonville, and my buddy's grandad caught an 80lbr outta the big muddy channel about 5 miles north of the subimpoundment. he had 4 lures in his mouth! and just last week a guy came in to the marina with a 70lbr. so the bigguns are in there. i just havent caught one yet this year! im goin to kansas next week and when i get back im gonna pull 2 all nighters and see what i can do. im on vacation from work starting wednesday!:big_smile:

13. the_whisker_hunter

the_whisker_hunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sorry for the inconvience but need 10 post to view any pics :crazy:

14. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Cats are in all areas of Rend. I camp there as often as possible. I've had a bad day once in a while, but never two in a row. There is an old basement from a farm house on the north end, maybe 20' square that is packed with channels. It is common to pull 15 or 20 cats out of there in an hour. If you camp at Wayne Fitzgerrel, Try about 50' off the rip rap with a tightline rig. There is no off season at Rend. I catch them year round.

Bumper sticker I saw: Ugly strikes two out of three.

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you can get a map at wal-mart that shows all old foundations, bridge abutements, fish attractors, channels, tree stumps and holes.

16. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am going to go back down on Friday Morning to Rend Lake and will be putting in off 57 and 154 near the golf course...Going to try and drift fish and see If we can come up with a mess...Just me and the wife are going...Boy am I excited about going this time...I am so fired up...got my poles rigged for driting and going to make a serious hard fishing weekend out of it...Just might go back on Saturday if all goes well...

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im off work friday. i might be down there camping.

18. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    look me up big muddy...You got my Cell # bro...Give me a call if you are down there and I will come see ya...If nothing else but to just say hello and introduce myself in person...

Below is a picture of a local guy's catch in 6 hours drifting it is my dream to do this one day...My other dream is to catch a flathead and a Blue never done that either...Would just love to try the taste difference between them all...

19. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    ill be headin down to rend saturday and sunday in search of cats as well. hopefully a flat!

20. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hope you send us some pictures of your catch and give us an update of how you do...

Good Luck