Rend Lake catfishing help

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by deerhunter4, May 29, 2007.

1. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello Everyone This is my First Post and would like to start by introducing myself ...
    My name is Paul and love to catch catfish for the great fight and enjoy the yearly fish fry with my family...

We,
    meaning my wife and two children Son Brandon 17 and Daughter Brooke 11 are going for our first trip ever to Rend Lake Fishing and I am not sure where to go...I would really like to put my kids on a big cat if some one might give me a good honey hole to search out...We are going on 6/01/07 - 6/03/07 I know it is short notice but if anyone is willing to give a guy a break on a good Hole I would be greatful...We are going to be staying at the Cabins at Rend Lake Resort...

Also understand this lake can be jugged and troutlined is this true?

Question
    I have fresh shad and fresh bluegill is this a good cut bait for this lake...I understand and have heard the entire lake is good for catfish but I know there has to be an area that is better than others surely...Any help would be great...also would like to know what other type of fish I might have success fishing for anything else if the cats are not bitting...I want my kids to catch something......any other bait selections I may choose for cats or other fish I might be able to catch there?

Paul,Sally, and Kids

Attached Files:

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yes, juglining and trotlining is legal. all jugs have to be marked with your last name and zip code and you cant leave em all night unless they are tied to something. are you fishing from boat or bank? and yes shad, and bluegills work great as live or cut bait. right now you probably wanna stick to the shallow water near brush on the shoreline around the mouth of coves and back in there. there are two subimpoundments on the north side of the lake and the rip-rap and buck brush around these areas are said to be pretty good spots right now. also on the east side of I57 there is an area called west gun creek branch. my uncle has pulled quite a few big flatheads outta there. if you are in a boat, be very careful in the shallows cause there are alot of stumps all over the north side of the lake and at the west gun creek branch. i would use shad and cut shad with chicken livers as backup. fish the structure, the buckbrush and the rip-rap, and that will be your best bet. if your not carchin catfish, put on a jig and try for some crappie in those same spots. that place is loaded with crappie. i have hooked into some good fish in that lake and hope you do too! your access areas are gonna be all the way up and down highway37 on the east side of the lake and mine 21 road on the west side. i should be out on the lake around that time, so holler back and maybe ill show you around.

3. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Big Muddy I would like to Thank You very much for responding back...We are going to be staying at the Resort at Rend Lake...Are you familiar with that Resort...We are going to be staying in one of the Cabins...I am Driving a Grey GMC P/U with a Topper and a 16ft sea nymph with a small 25hrsp. Eve and a trolling motor...We are going to be staying Friday Night and Saturday Night Leaving Sunday Morning it would be real nice to hook up with ya and learn the lake a bit...My kids and wife would really enjoy catching Something......Is there a place there to use a cast net for some shad or should I bring some.....Do you know are the Crappie Still Biting good...never used a jig for them before but willing to learn...Really never been shown how to crappie fish...but I have caught them before on minnow...what kind of jig do I need to buy...You can chat me anytime at watcher269@hotmail.com this is also my Messenger name on MSN or you can even call me on the cell if you would like...get with me in messenger and I will give you my cell # My Yahoo email and messenger is watch_er_2@yahoo.com it is watch_er_2.....I would love to get as much help as possible...Let me know where to meet ya if the Resort is not a good Place to meet for you and I will show up...Thanks again so Much for any help...:smile2:
    paul