Rend Lake - Camping Trip of Lifetime

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bwhupp, Oct 13, 2008.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    So the fishing sucked for the most part. I really do not know Rend well enough at all to hone in on spots and the 'fishfinder' is so poor it has problems even determining water depth. But this is my story....

My father and I went out in the lake with the boat. We deployed some stationary jugs and were about to go drifting for cats. I realized that my tackle box was missing, as was my fathers. Upon further inspection, so was my black and blue custom rod and reel. We were robbed over night. Oh now Sunday morning fishing just turned to crap and lost about $500 worth of gear.

We pulled the boat out and began to drive around looking at campsites near us. We checked on what kind of folks were around and everything... well there was one site where a bunch of teens and younger adults were. They were partying hard all night long. Well, they were already beginning to pack it up to go home. When we drove by, I noticed they were looking to the bed of the truck. There were about 10 people and 7 cars in this one little camping site at Wayne Fitz. We couldn't see anything when we drove by the first time, so we parked out van adn boat and went into our camper to watch them. They continued to watch our camp ground heavily until something snapped in me and I get very angry. I stormed out of the camper and just walked up to them and asked if they know if anyone was around my boat late last night. They said no, they went to bed early. SO I walked right up to their truck adn looked in the bed, sure enough, I saw about a foot of my black adn blue rod sticking out. They tried to cover it with blankets and things.

So I lost it and threw all their crap to reveal my rod. I grabbed my rod and said a few profanities and I was ready to fight. I was demanding to know if they knew nothing why was my rod in their truck. By this time, my dad came running because he saw abunch of the kid's buddies coming out of the woodwork towards me.. more than likely ready to jump me as I was getting ready to remove this thief and teach him a lesson. I started to demand where my tackle boxes were... and he said he did not know. I told him he has one more chance before I make him tell me where my tackle is. He went to the cab of his truck and pulled out 3 tackle boxes. One was my fathers, one was mine, and one was someone elses who they ripped off. I took them all and got ahold of the park ranger, who then radioed in for Sheriff dept. The game wardens were not responding to the radio for some reason.

Long story short now.... 2 sherriff's arrived. The kid who I was after had no driver's license because it was held up in courts apparently in St Clair. His buddy had a warrant for his arrest in Peoria. Uncovered a lot more stolen gear.... One whole truck trunk that is in the back agaisnt the cab was removed from one guy. It contained about 800 bucks worth of hunting camoflage gear and high powered binoculars, a battery charger, 2 vehicles syphoned dry of gas, a gas can, 2 bass rods, 1 catfish rod, 3 tackle boxes, and some other minor things. It came out to be about $2100 estimated value these kids stole from 4 different campsites. One of the people that the kid stole from was the kid's PAROLE OFFICER. Needless to say... some extra phone calls were made and the kid did not enjoy his time in jail. :eek:oooh:

So.. even though 99% of the time noone messes with yiour stuff... be sure to lock it up and put your equipment away. Not always is gear found and criminals caught.. this time I was lucky.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian that was a sad story with a good ending for you and your dad. If this goes to court be sure and testify and put this scum off the streets and out of the parks.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    wow, what a trip! good job on taking charge and getting your stuff back!

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Geez! Why can't I ever join in the fun? It is idiots like that that screw things up for the rest of us.

5. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    I have camped there hundreds of times and never had anything stolen. It just takes a few morons to make one debate whether to go back or not!!!

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Hey Brian - I'd be happy to teach you a few illegal wrestling moves :wink: One of the guys who taught me retired from ultimate fighting competitions because he was hurting too many of his opponents! :crazy:

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I just wish the game wardens responded. They would have seized the kid's truck and all his bows and other weapons/gear. I just hope I do not get summoned to court in Franklin County over this. The Sherriff did not think it would happen because he sang like a little bird and admitted to everything.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Damn BW, I have to set here and LMAO, just at the thought of your big ol arse just scaring the living chit out of some punk A$$ trash!!!!!!! Glad to hear ya got it back and taken care of, Sad part on the DNR/CPO'S but this is what we get when "our" wonderful govenor all but destroy's the DNR. And hey, if you have to go back for court, then just keep post poning your time until the bite is on :wink:

9. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    glad i wasnt there with ya brother,that would have just gave me a reason to start busting heads.im proud that u did everything legal brian,thats what really hurts people in the end,maybe it will teach that dude something and he will get out and buy his own poles and gear.nice job brother.

10. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    not to say for sure,but most likely them guys will plea guilty and not fight it,they was caught,so let that be the least of ur worries brother,then you wont have to go to court

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Brian,
    Glad every thing ended well and reps for the story

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Coulterville man jailed on theft charge

By Mona Sandefur
    Benton Evening News
    Tue Oct 14, 2008, 01:17 PM CDT
    Story Tools: [​IMG] Email This | [​IMG] Print This
    Benton, Ill. - Charles A. Solt, 19, of Coulterville was transported to the Franklin County Jail on a charge of theft at 9:40 a.m. Sunday after he allegedly stole a fishing pole and tackle box from a campsite at Wayne Fitzgerrell State Park.

Sheriff Bill Wilson said deputies were dispatched to Lookout Loop in the Class A campground after two men from Belleville reported that a fishing pole and tackle box had been taken from their campsite.

“The two men said Solt watched them from a neighboring campsite while they searched for their missing fishing equipment,” Wilson said. “The two men said they saw their missing equipment in the back of Mr. Solt’s pickup truck and told him that deputies were on their way.

“When the deputies asked Mr. Solt how the fishing equipment wound up in the back of his truck, he said that he must have put it there while he was intoxicated,” Wilson said.

http://www.bentoneveningnews.com/news/x1261522934/Coulterville-man-jailed-on-theft-charge

I personally like the part where they forgot to mention the other 1800 bucks worth of stuff found in his truck too.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    hupp-1 hooligans-0

14. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I'm glad you got your stuff back and got those dirt bags busted. I've camped at Rend many, many times and never had a problem, but I lock my stuff up when I see questionable people camped nearby.

15. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I'm terribly sorry to hear about your misfortunes, but I gotta tell ya.............. YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!:worship::worship::worship:

Reps to ya

16. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thats so great. Id love to catch someone stealing my stuff. I would just once like to catch someone in the act.

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Way to go Brian, glad you got your stuff back & they went to jail !!!