Rend Lake camping/fishing

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bigBB, Sep 11, 2007.

1. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    does anyone have any advice on which campsites are better than others.. i probably will be doing most of my fishing from boat.. but may want to run some lines out from campsite if there are spots on the lake... and insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    When I go there, I camp at Wayne, more specifically Hickman's Point. It is 15 bucks a night. Electric is there, outhouse, showerhouse, communal water spicket.

I stay at Hickmans because it is close to the boat ramp. Mind you it is a good steep boatramp as well. :smile2:

3. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    do they have camping spots right on the lake?

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    there is a primitive campground behind the college at wayne fitzgerrel. its 6 bucks a night. its right on the water.its close to the resort and the cleaning station.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
  6. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Brian, my favorite campground is North Sandusky. Most of the sites are reservable and you can run your boat up close to about 50% of the sites, no need to trailer every day. There is a boat dock free with a camping pass on your mirror. Sandusky inlet is also good catfishing, I've caught a lot of channels, one small flat head, 15# blue, & bullheads there. Check Out Hickory &White Oak Loops #'s 99 thru 110. This is my suggestion for a member gathering next summer. Shagbark loop is a private group loop with around 20 sites that can be reserved for around $100 a night, but boat access is limited.

7. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    Don.. thanks i would like a site i can just pull my boat up to so it sounds like North Sandusky may be the ticket... i hope that the $100 a night is a typo though... sounds pretty pricey for a camp site. lol

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I think I will have to agree... 100 bucks for a campsite is a bit stiff!

Does it have electric and setup for camper's electric? I have not been to sandusky personally.

What I do like about Wayne is the fish cleaning station is nearby.. unless there are more around Rend that I do not know about which is always a possibility.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    he might be sayin 100 bucks for all 20 of the sites. could be wrong though. the water is low, but i have caught a TON of channels from the primitive camp. there is no power but there is water and a restroom. and the cleaning staion is walkin g distance

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I wish I didn't need electricity anymore. :angry:

I have to sleep with a machine to keep me breathing through the night. I quit breathing 80 times an hour without it. :smile2:

No electricity = no breathing

11. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Hey, I should have been a little more clear on cost, That is for the whole Shagbark loop. It has a nice restroom, community fire pit, and electric at all sites. I'd have to walk through, but i'm pretty sure there is one or two water hydrants. A nice shower house is about 1/4 mile away at the next loop, there is also a lot of shade.

12. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    After posting this morning, I decided to go on a fact finding mission to North Sandusky, My dogs were ready for a run in the woods anyway. Shagbark loop is a private group area with 21 electric sites, flush restroom, fire pits at each site, community fire pit, volleyball net and water hydrant at the restroom. It is possible to access by a small boat during spring lake levels, but you will have to thread your way through overhanging branches along the bank. The cost is $100 per night for the whole loop, which is a good deal, if you have more than seven campers. This area can be reserved 1 year in advance. Each site also has a concrete picnic table. All sites are relatively level with shade. The rest of North Sandusky is reservable 6 months in advance on reserveamerica.com. I recommend anyone wanting to get a site near water to bring your boat close, reserve at least early that week, as this is a very popular campground for boaters. There are 2 good bait shops near the entrance, one is Coy & Wilma's which has a fish cleaning station, but you must ask permission to use it. North Sandusky also has a large group picnic area,reservable, with shelters overlooking the lake that can host several groups at the same time. I hope this info helps make a visit to Rend a little more appealing.