Rend Lake 7-27

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by riverrat85, Jul 19, 2007.

1. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    I'm heading down to rend again next weekend for some campin and some cattin. got 3 boats together so far gonna try to tear em up. anyone interested in one night catchin some cats let me know.

2. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Travis, I'm going to be camping at Rend also next weekend. I would like to get together with you for some night fishing. Is Denise coming with you? I would like to invite you and Denies To our camp Saturday afternoon/evening for a cookout as a thank you for letting me use your boat and bait during the gathering. My wife mentioned camping at Wayne Fitzgerrel this time. We usually try to get a spot at Lakeview loop, back and to the right, on the bluff overlook. Catfishing there is ussually good off the rocks, snags on the rocks can be a problem, I use lighter weights to help float the rig in over the rocks. Give me a call, cell # 214-1223. I've been keeping my eyes open for a jon boat, but my wife really wants a pontoon, one of these days we will compromise and get a pontoon.

3. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Guys, The catfishing this past week has been super in the Gun Creek area. My brother and I in two trips caught 120, biggest being 6#, (I would have guessed him 7-8 but I had a de-liar scale along) most going in 3-4# size. Drifting with shrimp salted with garlic salt was all we used. On Tuesday the front coming in made them go into a feeding frenzy. A first for me; I actually caught one on both hooks. Hope your experience is as good.

4. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hope you all have some good luck down there fishing that night. The ones of us who were there the night of the 13th know you have someone who can catch bait for you riverrat :wink:. Good luck and lets see some nice pics when you get done:tounge_out:

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    You need to post your exact recipe with those garlic shrimp! Where do you pick up your shrimp? Any special kind?

6. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    Don i would love nothing more than to take ya out again. I talked my bro into coming down with his fiance and a few friends but i am sure i can slip away for alittle while:wink: Denise will be coming again to show me how to fish lol I will get ahold of ya this week to set something up with ya. i think bigmuddy was also interested too.

7. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man Im starting to get jelous. All you guys talk about your wifes and Fiances going fishing with you. My fiance wont even think about it, or even eat the fish I catch lol. Guess Ill always know I wont have anyone bothering me to go fishing cept for my 13yr old stepson. It all stems from her watching her dad clean fish one time, ruined it for her for the rest of her life. Dont know what I am doing next weekend but I may be able to make it if everything goes well. Ill let you know.

Jerred

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good Luck to all of you. Make us proud.:big_smile:

9. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian,
    I get the uncooked shrimp from walmart. Uncooked stays on the hook best. Costs around $10 for a big bag that looks like a small onion sack. I put aproximately half of it in a 3# plastic coffee can (plastic bag will work as well.) The garlic is also from walmart, large cheap bottle is .98 cents. Sprinkle apx. half the bottle over the shrimp, put the lid on the coffee can & let sit overnight. After fishing with it, I put what is left in a zip lock bag and drop in the freezer for the next trip. I have yet to use any bait that works better for me, even shad.

I use 1/2 oz. weight tied on the end of the lline, with two circle hooks snelled 4" & 6" above the weight. A swivel seems to keep the line from twisting.

10. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    I wont fish with anything else. i have caught more fish off garlic shrimp than anything else. i like to let mine sit a few days before just to get alittle more stank in it :wink: but both work just the same.

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    AWESOME! Thanks Bro for the tidbit!

Might have to give this a whirl... Just need to make sure I wash my hands really well afterwards as I am allergic to shelfish! LOL :smile2:

12. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well according to the weather and stuff this weekend should be good, starting Friday night. The winds should be WSW with some storms brewing (seems to be when I do best). Saturday and Sunday, according to the moon charts and the weather Ive been looking at look to be the best of the 3 days.... Wonder if the fiance will let me get out of remodling the house for 3 days in a row...:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:, or maybe ill just hang the lattice on the deck now lol

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    So... the boat probably wont be ready by then... which means I wont be making it out there. The bums have had it for 2 weeks now and it still isn't ready from the 20 hour motor service. I am beginning to hate the dealer already!

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well, my show saturday night got cancelled, so ill be out there. just pm me and let me know where your campin and ill stop out there and figure out where were fishin.

15. DetectDave

DetectDave New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hopefully we might see some of you guys out there. We're staying @S. Sandusky in Redbud loop...I think 156,157, 158. We'll be out in a Lowe deck boat w/ some tasty garlic shrimp & livers..LOL

16. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    detectdave

we'll be in a camo 16 foot polarkraft. flag us down if ya see us. we'll prolly start down by the dam in the south end and drift all the way to 154 or vice versa just depends on the wind.

17. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    i was wondering about the garlic does it have to be garlic salt or can it be the powder as well. plus would adding it to any other kind of bait ie hotdogs, shad, or nightcrawlers

18. DetectDave

DetectDave New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Travis, we will probably do the same depending on drift. I may throw some jugs out in the no wake before the main lake for kicks.

19. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris,
    I've used only the garlic salt on the shrimp. Wal Mart always has a good supply.

I have used garlic juice in sonny's stink bait with good success. I've tried the sonny's with and without the garlic juice and always catch more fish if I put the juice in it.

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Hey ya'll, I will be in Mount Vernon Aug. 4-5 for a family reunion. Any of ya'll going to be at Rend Lake that weekend? Maybe I can slip off and come visit.