Rend Lake 2009 Poll

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by deerhunter4, Sep 15, 2008.

Rend Lake 2009

1. Simple

2. Extra Frills

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Going to try to post a Poll
    Hello everyone,

I am going to attempt to post a poll for the 2009 Rend Lake Gathering...

I would like everyone's opinion as to how they would like to see the 2009 Rend Lake Gathering...

Simple with a Dinner and plenty of socializing and fishing....

Or Extra frills with Give-aways and raffles and a big fish tourney to follow dinner...

I will support either way... However this year if the Extra Frills are going to happen we will need to set up jobs for those interested to keep things spread out and make it fun for everyone...

Jobs such as rounding up prizes to be donated:

Some one to give them away:

Some one to make prize tickets/etc.

Some one to pick a gift to Raffle (Staying in the Catfishing Theme)
    as this is a Catfishing event

Some one to collect money for the Raffle

Some one to collect money for the Big fish tourney

Etc...

Let me know what you all want to do?????

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    To me, simple will be better, its about catfish and people to me, not what I can win. JMO

3. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    keep it simple so there is no stress on anyone,i will be fishing and just chatin,but i will help out with whatever

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am all for the frills. I got to know a lot of folks and fish with them now on a regular basis. Shoot, even got to meet up with Kojak on a video game LOL. I would like to see all stops pulled and do some things at the event. To me, it's an event that deserves more than just meet, greet, eat and fish. I liked the publications we got and word spread through multiple papers/magazines. I liked new people came simply because of the reading of the articles. I liked that everyone got to walk away with something as a memento.

I'd hate for it to just fall to a simple get together. To me, it should be more as it is our annual event. But if the general populace does not want that, then so be it.

5. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have shared friendship, fellowship, and fun times.
    But lets not forget what it was developed to be. It is a break for allot of us to meet new friends & share memories with treasured "old" friends When it develops to the point of being a "chore" we have lost sight of the vision.

I could not say this any better so I have copied some of this from above...I don't mind the Extra Frills, Last year was a great year with the Donations from Local establishments and publications in newspaper articles/magazines and seeing new people come because of the publications was a great sight (this don't need to stop)...
    We can still ask to have an article published about the event...

I would like to see a simple event this year regroup and just enjoy the fellowship and friendship...I understand it is a one time event once a year...If everyone polls this to be an Event with the Frills I don't have a problem with that...You will have my full support...Lets keep the poll till Dec. which should let everyone see it and participate in the poll that is interested in participating...This will give us approx. 6 months to put it together with or without frills...

6. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I say simple, of coarse im not much of a people person either but everyone ive met so far have been very good people and great friends to say the least. What better way to show your support and get new friends and memebers than inviting them to sit around shoot the sh!!!t eat and catch some fish. Theres nothing better than that

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks everyone who has polled so far... Please encourage everyone who may want to attend to announce how they would like the 2009 Rend Lake Gathering...

If the poll is close we will go with the Extra Frills and set up some kind of a meeting so we can set up jobs...The only thing here is I would like every thing to run smooth and easy so it is enjoyable for all...

I would also ask that everyone who accepts a job to correspond with me directly through email,phone or in person...

8. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I'm in favor of some middle ground on this issue. I think the 08 gathering had to many prizes, seems like it was overboard a little. Toward the end of the drawings there was a lot of stuff left and was getting hard to get someone to take it.

9. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    What about the ladies who support us guys? Can some of the frills be directed toward them, like maybe a drawing for the woman? The Rend gathering has more of a family atmosphere than the Catstock gathering, and maybe we should take that into consideration.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have seen great gatherings turned into things that make you wonder what happened to the good old fashioned get together and shoot the breeze and do some fishing event that it used to be. Keep them simple yet, intresting at the same time. To me a gathering is more about meeting everyone and having good conversation along with a little fishing. Let's face it, if you go out fishing all day and night, you have missed out on actually getting to know the ones that showed up. I can fish anytime I want to but, there are those that I would really like to meet and talk with for a while. Just saying hello to folks and jumping into a boat with one or two folks ain't what it is all about for me. I want to shoot the breeze with all of them!!!

11. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    true don,the wife and kids need something to do as well,agreed there were alot of prizes,not complaining,but it kind of ran into our big fish that night.we were all rushing to get on the water after the dinner beacuse it waz getting dark.maybe just not so many prizes this time,if u want i have alot of bait shops around me and i know them pretty good so i will start seeing what i cant get to give away,something simple for familys,beacuse they need to have fun too.and with everyone throwing in there opinoin we might be able to have a really great gathering,like i said,jmo,and i want to stay away from affending any of my catfish brothers or sisters.

12. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just my two cents. I really enjoyed the 08 outing Brian, his family and Paul and his family, and anyone else involved, did an awesome job of putting the whole show together so that we would have something to look back on and say, WOW that was fun. That said, I liked the frills. But, I do know that it was a whole lot of work for the people putting it together. I feel that if we have all the frills they need just a little more help, they have already asked for it. I know that with the helpful people we have here in our group getting help should not be a problem. I for one will do just about anything they put me up to. I really would not care either way, frills or not, I enjoyed meeting people and the group fishing tourny, even if we didn't catch a thing. I also really wanted to win that fishing reel that was given away. So guess what I am saying with this big ramble is that the frills are nice, but we do not have to have them in my opinion to have a good time.

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It is really nice to see all the talk as this is what makes this group gathering so great...

Please keep the input going and please poll what you would like it is not a contest but a true desire for me to know how everyones feels...

I liked the frills to a point but it was very tough and a bit trying at times for both Brian and Myself...

Brian and his Parents, Aaron and his wife worked very hard at the Gathering and spent allot of the time working...from collecting money for the raffle of the rod and reel, to the Big fish tourny,and other little things...
    Brian and his Family put an awesome board together of all the Local Establishments that donated...

Brian worked up shirts

Made great looking boards for the Gathering and more...

Brians mom put together some really nice baskets for give aways...

I would really like to make it simple for everyone, yet fun and loads of great memory's...

14. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I love to fish and talk fishing. I enjoyed our last outing. I met a lot of good fishermen and learned a few new tricks. The women and kids did enjoy the frills though. My wife's sister and family were in the area and came by the pavilion. They were very impressed with the atmosphere and the frills. Their fishing had been very casual at best. They were amazed at how quickly they were involved in comfortable conversations as if they knew everybody for years. So personally I will take simple but I can see the frills being very important for publicity and for family entertainment. I will be there again either way.

15. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I missed the '08 gathering due to visiting guests so my opinions are bassed on the first gathering. The thing I most enjoyed was meeting everyone and talking fishing (and all that good food). The willingness of some of the more experienced brothers to share tecniques and good fishing spots impressed me very much. For me, the frills and the giveaways are ok.......but not high
    in priority.

16. raiderfan

raiderfan New Member

State:
    IL
    I think simple is best.

17. raiderfan

raiderfan New Member

State:
    IL
    i was not at the gathering but heard it was a good time. I am counting the days til the next one so i can go.:big_smile:

18. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Look forward to having you...Will be a fun time and great meal...

19. fish getter

fish getter New Member

State:
    illinois
    Lets keep it simple EAT, CHAT, FISH!!!

20. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hello all just wanted to bring this back to the top and give everyone the chance...

Thanks to everyone who has input so far...