rend lake 2008

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by big-muddy, Jun 22, 2008.

1. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    this can be the thread to share your experiences at the '08 rend lake gathering. i had a great time and was glad to meet old friends as well as new ones. the food was amazing. Paul did an awesome job of spearheading this thing. alot of people on the list didnt show up, but thats ok, we had a blast. Tonto and Jeselder did an awesome job on the fish. Travis, that goose was amazing. Bigcat, i am a big fan of fried okra. congrats little cat on the nice new rig. dan, charlie, dinia, and racheal, thanks for having me out to camp this week. i had fun hangin out with you guys.
    the lack of fish caught didnt do this lake much justice, we got it right in the middle of the spawn so the fishing was slow at best. alot of the time, i catch a lot of fish in this lake. most times out i catch at least 6 and in the big fish contest we had 7 people in the boat and got skunked, but that wasnt what mattered to me. what mattered to me was getting together with all of you guys and havin a good time. thanks to all that attended and im praying that my vacation is around the same time next year.

2. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    it was good seeing everyone again. Good weather again for the gathering and food was awesome. cant wait for next year...now we just have to get the cats to cooperate:wink:

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Kristen, Baby Abbie and I had a great time as well. The food was AWESOME and it was great to see so many old faces and meet new people.

Travis - at least you didn't get skunked! :smile2:

4. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I had a great time with all the people I met this week. The week went by way to fast. My wife also had a great time. I have to admit I'm feeling tired after a week of tent camping. The fishing wasn't bad, the catching was a little slow.:wink: I'd do it all again if I could.

5. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    MAN!!! I WISH I'D HAVE MADE IT!!! GUARANTEE I MAKE IT NEXT YEAR.....

i may sneak down there to rend lake next month and check y'all out......

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    For the next gathering, I believe we should incorporate more people in the work load for the variable aspects. For example:

Tshirt Design and Sales
    Fishing Contest Official
    Meal Coordinator and staff
    Donations Committee
    Ticket Sales (during gathering)
    Treasurer (monitors monetary donations to make sure all is paid and covered like site rental, supplies, thank yous + stamps, etc)
    Advertisement

That is just shooting from the top of my head. I would like to see more of a collaboration of work and involve more people than what was done this last gathering. Something that definetely will bring in more people, ideas, etc to keep this gathering growing and flowing beautiful year after year.

Overall, I think it went quite well. Some hiccups and miscommunication that can be easily resolved with some work and a few more heads working together to rectify everything. Always looking to improve and re-evaluate areas that were problematic.

I know a lot of folks asked to help, but were turned away from it because we did not have a set plan of what was even needed to get done. I believe Paul and I can work out set jobs and have people doing their own specific job. I know it will work better and not feel so overwhelmed trying to do it all and doing it in no time. Thoughts?

7. RiverMedic

RiverMedic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You are very right and I'm here to tell you that the wife and I saw, all that you few had done, to make this gathering a success and ya'll did a very good job, you and deerhunter4 can count on the wife and I to help out in anyway that we can for the next year's gathering!! Again we met some very decent folks and had a great time, we thank you very, very much!! Just give me a pm and I'll send ya'll my number and we can work things out better for the next time

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
  9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    forgot to mention ,brian, thanks for all your hard work in this thing. i know the workload was a little tough, but u did a good job grabbin the bull by the horns and taking care of alot of stuff. it was really appreciated. maybe some of that stuff could have been spread out at the meeting, but i for one can probably speak for most by saying that we really didnt know what the actual game plan was gonna be. we just knew that we were stoked to do this thing.

my one bit of input is, and i think i mentioned this last year during the initial planning. i think we should try to set the date a little earlier as to not hit the lake while the cats are in the middle of the spawn again. the weather was a little wacky this spring, but i can say, that being as i have fished this lake all my life, the spawn happens almost the same time every year. and its almost always the end of june. a few weeks ago when i was hammering them, i was thinking to myself "oh no, this is the prespawn and this means that they are gonna be dead in the water by the gathering".

i can't gaurantee that i am gonna be on leave this time next year, but i do get one month off every year, so if that happens, i will be willing to help out with more of the workload. because i will actually have some money in my pocket by then.

10. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well Brother's and Sister's,
    This was in my opinion one of the best day's in the year for me...I want to send Thanks to all those that had input and helped so much through out the year...

I also had a great time all week camping and fishing with Charlie and Dan and their family's

I hope every one had a great time and please input anything that could help make it better for next year while it is fresh in your mind...

The day of events was outstanding and all the talented cooks have my admireation...The Hillbilly golf game was a real hit with the kids and adults alike (good job Brian)
    Bethann and Earl brought things for the kids to enjoy through out the day...
    The endless stories and charm from Garry Eads We all love him and his hush puppies and taters...
    Brian Hupp even had a hook snelling class that was pretty neat...

I would like to Thank all the Sponsors that gave graciously to our cause giving each person the opportunity to go home with a little something...Even if I did end up with a sore throat from calling all the numbers out...

Team Catfish(Jeff Williams)
    it was a pleasure to meet you and have you attend our Gathering...It was nice of Jeff to offer up the opportunity to purchase his product with out the Shipping cost...

The gifts where great but to me just seeing each and everyone having a great time together made it all worth it for me...I can't tell you the feeling in my heart that this Gathering gives to me...I can't start by naming any certain names cause you all have a special place in my heart and memories for the rest of my life...It was so exciting for me to see people come to the Gathering just by word from the paper and word of mouth at the cleaning station...

The Big Fish Contest was pretty fun and we had 3 fish to weight out for the winner...It would have been more exciting if the fish would have cooperated but it was still fun to do...Congratulations (Charlie)catinaldatime Big fish 5lbs 3oz...

I will end for now with some pictures of the Gathering and look forward to hearing everyones input on this years Gathering event...
    This is a Link to the Slide Show I hope you all enjoy and the link works...
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...4&conn_speed=1

Please:
    we encourage each and everyone of you to drop a line on how we can improve upon our 2009 Gathering...

Attached Files:

11. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Let me start this thing by saying thanks to Paul(deerhunter4), yah like you didn't know lol, and his family. Also thanks to the entire Hupp family for all the planning and time they spent to make this gathering possible. My son, Dillon, and I had an awesome time meeting new people. The whole group was some of the nicest people I have ever had the chance to meet. Tonto and his family were also very nice by letting Dillon and myself go out on their boat for the contest (very nice boat by the way). I look forward to seeing everyone again next year, and possibly getting to go fishing with a few of you before then.

12. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I had a great time saturday. It was good to meet everyone. Too bad that the cats shut down. oh well thats why they call it fishing, not catching. Thanks for having this event so we all can have a great time.

13. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First of all I would like to think Paul and all his family for all the time and hard work they have put into this years gathering, you all done a wonderful job. I have been on your side of this before and it is hard. I would like to thank everyone else who had a hand in getting this to happen. It was wonderful seeing the old faces from last year and getting to meet all the new ones this year. It was great to set down and talk to Mickey and Gary from last year. They always have some wonderful words of advice to give anyone who wants to listen. Tonto and Jessie wonderful job on the fish A+!!! I belive I can speak for my dad and myself as saying we had a great time camping and meeting Dan, Charlie, and their families. You all were great and fun to be around. Last but not easst I would also like to think all the sponsers who donated money, gifts, ect for this. Without this it would have not been possiable at all. I hope to see you all next year, and hope to see alot of the old faces and even some new ones.

14. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    Well, this is Charlie's wife, and I just thought I would hop on here and tell everyone what a wonderful time we had. We absolutely loved every minute of the trip. We came down for a week and got to hang with Paul, Sally (tell your wife hello for me) and the girls, ( tell the girls Ashton is missing them:wink: and Abbie too.) and Lil Kat and his family(Macy is beautiful:big_smile:) and what a delight it was. The gathering was the bomb diggity!!!! I must tell you all how much I have bragged on everyone I met down there since we got back. The nicest, down home, kind hearted people I have met in a long time! It was awesome! So, I would like to say thank you all for showing our family as well as everyone else such kindness, that is hard to find these days! You ALL rock!:cool2: I would like to thank all of the families, paul, brian, brian's parents (awesome people) and everyone else who had a hand in this and for all the great food , for all the hard work they did to put this together, as it was perfect. Brian, I would definetely like to take on some of the work load next year, I love coordinating, designing, and things like that so just let Charlie know and I will jump in where ever you would like and help out.

AND LAST BUT DEFINITELY NOT LEAST, THANK YOU TO THE SPONSORS, WITHOUT YOU WE (THE BOC HAVE NOTHING, wait I'm a chick, S.O.C. sisterhood of catfisherman...lol:smile2:) AND WITHOUT THE PRIZES I MIGHT HAVE BEEN BORED...LOL.J/K! SERIOUSLY, GREAT PRIZES, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
    KEEP ON LIVING! LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE!!!!!

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    It has been brought up by a few folks now about the change of next year's gathering to match the free fishing weekend by the state of Illinois. It would put thegathering a week or two earlier which will be prespawn (hopefully) and drive in more out of state folks for some free fishing! I think it may be worth looking into.

16. RiverMedic

RiverMedic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Like To help out next year, really enjoyed this outing and plan to make it as long as ya'll plan to have it! I am already looking forward to the pre-planning dinner or breakfast or whatever you guy's decide to do!

17. RiverMedic

RiverMedic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wonderful slideshow and even more wonderful gathering, wife and I had a great time and are looking forward to next year, thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make it happen! Thanks again paul for sharing your boat with me I really did appreciate it, maybe the outing can be bumped up a few weeks to coincide with the spawn or something , but what do I know I didn't catch a single fish! Maybe we should ask 15cent charlie bout how to catch more fish(hehe)

18. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Had a great time, BethAnn and I got to see old friends and meet new ones. We would like to thank everyone for all the planning and preparation. Looking forward to next year. I guess I'll have to prefish Rend next year in order to catch a fish!! I did catch one in the cast net. Well BethAnn and I are off to Minnesoto in the morning for our annual fishing trip with her parents. Wish us luck, I will post when we get back.
    :smile2:

19. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I think the Illinois free fishing weekend is a good idea. The possibility of storms is a little higher in early June, but they can happen anytime. I have a suggestion for the next gathering, can we maybe set an agenda where certain times of the day is fishing time and meal time so everyone is on a similar schedule? It would make it easier to get together for fishing and the woman can better plan meals.

20. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    motion seconded:big_smile: