Removing wax from traps?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by cuttingout69, Mar 7, 2007.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What is the best way to remove wax from traps? I boiled them this evening and still had some wax left on them. I wanted to clean them total and remove all the wax. I will then re-wax them for storage. I do not like to leave then with dirt and trash on them till next season. I have invested too much money and time in my gear to allow one season of setting to ruin them. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OOOOK heres the way I used to do it. I boil my traps till the wax is covering the top of the water then turn off the heat and wait till it cools to take them out .aint very productive with a bunch of them but it works!! I've been thinking that if a man were to make some sort of drain at the top of the kettle to drain off the wax it might work like those fancy grease catching measuring cups? then just slowly pour a little extra water in and let the wax run off.

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I pretty much just boil and skim off the wax. A good hot rolling boil.

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You have given me and idea. I think I may make me a new pot just for boiling. I have a pot I made just for my wax. I might just as well have one just for boiling ha. Thank yall

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Just the act of boiling should remove the dirt n stuff.
    Most of the wax will boil out of the pot if the water level is high enough.Just keep adding water.
    I've removed the old wax and put on new all in 1 boiling.
    You can get most of the dirt n stuff off by first turning the garden hose on them.
    lots of luck
    just

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i take mine to the car wash and blast them good with soap and water.then i take them home and boil the snot out of them

7. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I take mine to the car wash first to get rid of the worst of it . That high preassure sure gets a lot off . Then of course th ecity folks that follow me might not care for the perfume left behind LOL .

If you really want to strip the stuff off you can boil in lye but make sure to rinse them real well after as it will rust a trap quick if not . One thing you might want to think about . After you rewax the storage is VERY important as wax accepts odor very well . Sealed containers are a must for after the waxing . It can make or break you in predetor trapping .

Drifter

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    my brother and i used the same pot for waxing and removeing wax.brothers a welder he just took some cast iron welding rod and welded a piece of pipe into the side of the pot.tilt it just a little and add water.wax runs out the hole and into tub for disposil.