Removing the levelwind

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by grizzly, Jul 6, 2007.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Is it true that removing the levelwind from a Penn 209 or 309 can increase casting distance?

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It was a very common practice to remove the level winds on Penn 209's & 309's when they broke as they were usually the first thing to go wrong.People would find that they didn;t need them and many have remained so for years.Most claimed that they cast farther without it.I never used level winds till my hands forced me too,so I really don;t know for sure.The few that put them back on usually were doing so for old arthritic hands,women,children and "guest"reels.Many women and children also cast without level wind.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I forgot to add that folk said and did the same with some of the Abu Garcia reels in fresh water.I remember Aba Garcia and Penn level winds getting popular in the mid to late 50's.A reel was a rare thing and a sight to see on the Santee before the mid 50's.You always watched awhile when you saw one.Some old folk said it would be the "the ruination of fishing".Most all fishing was cane pole then.I love you Brothers and Sisters

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you can also remove the breaks to speed up and lengthen the cast distance

i removed the breaks from one of my abu 7000's and managed a cast from 50 yards to 85 yards on a 7 ft rod with 5oz sinker if i was to remove the level wind i could no doubt reach over 100 yards but i prefer not to level the line by hand

i want both hands on the rod firmly

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    GRiz, yes but a little gain. Some percentage gain, 10%, I forget exactly, maybe more if that was the worst part of the reel and really holding you back. Kinda like takin a muffler off of an old honda, you get some gain but not 400hp. People just take them out so sand can't jamb up the reel also. One grain of sand in there can be a big problem.

6. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I haven't even thrown the 309 this year and had to remove the levelwind to get the old line off. It would wind fine, but free spooling in reverse it would hang on the right side every time. The rod that runs the guide from side to side has a cut in the right end. I went on and took the levelwind off my 209 also. Thought I'd try it just for the heck of it. In the pond I'm fishing now these reels are overkill with 50 & 80lb braid for 5lb channels, but I love hearing the bait clicker going off.