Removing the guides from an Ugly Stik

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by winston61, May 30, 2006.

1. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I picked up an Ugly Stik 6'6" bait casting rod at the local junk sale. Got two bent guides so I'm going to put new Fuji Hardaloys on it. Can anyone offer any tips on getting the old guides and finish off the rod? Should I use low heat to soften the epoxy? Any insights will be appreciated.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Winston, you might get a little more input if you ask that question under the Gator's rod repair. He is a professional rod builder and can be very informative at any questions regarding rods. Sorry actually it's Jim Hudson's rod Repair thread, my bad. Vern

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    thats why you found it at the junk sale.:lol:

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    take a razor along the guide base between the rod and guide ensuring not to score the rod. peel the thread off a little sanding and re-wrap and finish.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Winston I would not use any heat as to much will damage the blank and cause you some major problems down the line. Terry has given you the best way to do it and for a finish use flexcoat you can get it from cabelas. It take 24 hours to dry and your need to keep it turning at about 7rmp’s for the best results. However you can turn the rod ¼ turn every 5 mins for the first 2 hours then ½ turn every 10 mins for the next 2 hours then ½ turn every 30 for the next 2 hours and you should get a good smooth finish.