Removing snapping turtles

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by JMarrs328, Sep 16, 2007.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    a friend of mine has a small pond, and he has recently spotted some snapping turtles. They do not want them in the pond, and are looking for a good way to remove them. any suggestions?

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    jug fish it with some tough neck meat or cubes,they will take the bait and go to the bank and you can pull them out with the line

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    A turtle trap will clean out most if not all of the turtles from a pond. Simply place an open ended 55 gallon barrel in the pond with the open end up. Hold it down in place with rocks piled inside to keep it on the bottom in water that is about 2 feet deep. This will leave the open end of the barrel about 6 inches above the water.

Hinge a 30" long 6" wide board on the underside to the drum so that the board will extend a foot over the edge inside the barrel. Drive a stake into the bottom of the pond just under the end of the board in the water to allow the turtle to crawl up on the board without sinking it. Lastly, bait the end of the board over the inside of the barrel by nailing a chicken neck to it. The balance can be adjusted by adding weights under the end of the board over the barrel so that a half-pound turtle will dump into the barrel.

Put enough water in the barrel to cover the rocks, but not too much water, because a big snapper will climb out if he can get high enough.

Remove the turtles daily and rebait the trap as needed. Be Careful and wear heavy gloves when removing the turtles. They will be very angry.:beated:

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    reach up under the bank and pull them out.. they go in head first "most" of the time..:wink:

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
  6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    as soon as you get em cleaned out, though, they will return. a snapper will walk on dry land for miles to get to some new water. the most you can do is keep the numbers down, in my opinion.

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I set by our pond with the .17 cal , six pack a beer, good book and have fun. Next morning I round them all up and take them to a friend of mine for his freezer. And Massa is right wont be 2 weeks and a new herd will be back!!!

8. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    grab the tail pull them out

9. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    Havent had the chance to try out my .17 on any turtles yet. Taken several prairie dogs, one feral cat and a couple stray dogs. I do assume you are talking about the .17HMR, correct?