Removing permanent livewell from center of boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Cuda-Cada, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have a 1973 Easy Rider (SS) boat with a permanent livewell that is mounted in the center of the boat. I was thinking of removing it and filling the hole in. I would use a portable one in the back of the boat to give me more room. Has anyone tried this before? I don't think it would be hard to do but I would like to know of any problems just in case. Thanks...

2. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    can you post some pictures of the unit?

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Am I right in assuming that the permanent livewell is above the deck? The only permanent livewell I can remember seeing in the center of a boat was on a new 1974 Mako, and it was mounted below the deck. You had to keep that area of the deck clear so you could raise the lid to the livewell, but you could also walk on the lid just like the rest of the deck. I ended up buying a Robalo, which had a smaller livewell permanently mounted in the back corner of the boat. Currently, I'm working on fixing up a Kenner Ski Barge which has had the center console removed, a side console installed, and a permanent live well mounted in front of the side console; the livewell also doubles as a seat.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Why remove it in the first place? If you don't like the location use it for storage.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm not familliar with that kind of boat, but if it's a fiberglass boat and mounted above the deck, it should be a piece of cake. I got a post in here somewhere "Now I got a project" I think it's called detailing how I'm learning the hard way about fiberglass boats. Anyway, if you have a 4" grinder and it's mounted above the deck, get some zip disks and CAREFULLY cut through the glass around the seam where the well meets the deck. You don't want to go any deeper than the thickness of the layer of glass over the well. I'm assuming the well is glass over wood. Once you get that cut, you'll be able to tell if the well is using the deck of the boat for the bottom or if there is a separate floor for the livewell. If there is a separate floor in the well, you'll need to cut the corner of the inside of the well like you did the outside corners where the sides of the well meet the bottom. Once you get the sides off, you can see how the bottom is attached to the deck. Pick up some flapper wheels for your grinder to grind the ridge left where you removed the well smooth and then just glass over the spot where it was. Sand and paint. The zip discs on the grinder will cut fiberglass quickly. Be careful not to get any deeper than you need to, especially if the well is tied into the side of the boat. And get some good dustmasks. You'll generate a lot of polyester dust using a grinder on the glass.

If it's aluminum, I guess I just wasted a lot of keystrokes.:) Anyway, good luck with it.

6. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just bought an older 15 foot aluminum (Polar Kraft) from which I removed the center live well.

Since I plan to deck the boat floor over the ribs, I simply cut the floor of the live well around the through hull inlet and outlet fittings, lifted out the box and left the fittings in place. They'll be below the rib height, under the floor, and since they don't leak, I'll never know they are still there.

I saw no appeal in cutting through the hull when I didn't need to. Trying to reseal two 4 inch round holes could cause more problems than removing the well cured.

But ... I can (A) reinstall one should I ever wish to and (B) have a center section drain under the floor, should I ever need one (out of the water, of course). My live well fittings have brass plugs so sealing them off is a piece of cake.