removing paint

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by billyum2, Mar 8, 2009.

1. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I just recently got an aluminum boat ( Starcraft ) that has been painted with what looks like brush on enamel. My question is would a heat gun be to hot on the aluminum or should I use a chemical stripper ? what do you think? any and all advice welcomed.

2. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    i use aircraft stripper and a pressure washer.

3. fish13

fish13 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had a neighbor that used to overhaul tractors. He used heavy duty oven cleaner and he said that it stripped all the paint off easely. Give it a try and let me know how it worked. Good luck.

4. skinnerbug

skinnerbug New Member

State:
    brandenburg ky
    heat gun would work but lot of work sand blast would be the best 2 nd choice would be to air craft stripper and pressure wash it then MAKE SURE you use the oven cleaner or mek to clean it oven cleaner lot cheaper alum is hard to get a good paint job on that will stick so if ya dont blast it make sure you spray it with alum itching spray it gives the paint a surface to stick to i use to paint boats in the oil fieds ugly saftey orange lol any other advice pm me

5. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    yeah, sandblasting would be my weapon of choice. you can get a cheap setup at a hardware store for under 60 bucks if you already have an air compressor. oven cleaner should work too. ive herd of that working before.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They make a flapper disc for a 4.5 inch grinder and it works wonders and you can also use the air craft stripper. I would vote against sand because it could pit the hull.