Removing Old Boat decals..

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by john103, Mar 8, 2008.

1. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I'm sure most of you been there. I finally got my boat registration sticker from the dnr (finally). Didn't get the 3' number & letter decals though? I guess you have to buy those separate? (newbie here)..Anyway, I have to take the old ones off the jon boat and I was told by a friend to use a hairdryer and a plastic scraper. Any truth to this or other ideas? Thank you in advance.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the 3" ones, yes you have to get them from the store yourself. in illinois you are required to put the state IL with a gap and then the 4 #ers then last two letters must be spaced from again. i think this is all states. i may be wrong.

thanks for bringing this up. i have an aluminum (painted) fish and ski. i got new letters last year for $.05 clearence at wal world. i want to re do mine as well. the fella who owned the boat before me had 1 eye. the old ones run off quite a bit,lol. :big_smile: should get some suggestions soon.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jon i'm sure the dryer would work and there is also decals remover you can by at your local auto shop that work real good.
    Yes you do have to by your numbers but remember the next time you by a used boat with numbers all ready on it you can request them same numbers in your name if your state is like mine. Good luck fishing with your new boat.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you are not concerned about your finish, those razor blade scrapers, like they use to remove inspection stickers from you car windshield, work fine.

If I am not mistaken, there is another thread on this somewheres.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep Jon, or a heat gun is a little better if you have or can use one. Just heat them up and peal'm right off :wink:

6. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thank you Guys,
    I've already learned alot. The old numbers are spaced apart like you said so when I put the new ones on, I'll do it the same way. But first a trip to Wallyworld and see if they have the decals, lol,although I believe you got the clearance ones last year..

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lmao. im a bit farther south. i did come through your town last spring when i came up to fish the rock.

thanks guys. i didnt relize heat would soften them up. theyve been on a while.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LOL, if it's like the ones down here they will have all but 1 number or letter to finish...:smile2: :wink:

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The heat gun works good.

10. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hey Tom,
    Thanks for the tip on requesting the same number next time. I went out and checked the numbers that were on the boat with the sticker i got from the DNR and it's the same number, so all i have to change is the reg sticker. I learned something new. It's a learning experience for me with my first boat. Thank you again and to all the others also. I love this site. Go fish Tony and his son got me into this catfish thing last summer and have had nothing but fun ever since learning the ropes of catfishing.. I still have to get a bigger cat than 8 lbs this year and I'll be set.