Removing mud taste from fish.

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by bankslot, Jan 24, 2008.

1. bankslot

bankslot New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Possibly old news but if you take a cup of vinegar and add it to a gallon of water, then soak you cleaned filet in it for about 10 min, all the mud and wild taste will be removed from your filets.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i seen in an ll bean wild game cookbook where a hunter had went away for 2 weeks leaving his deer loins on the counter. temps in the 50's. they smelled awful. he took them to his butcher on his return to see if they could be saved. after a vinegar bath they were eaten and tender as could be. the butcher confided that without vinegar they would be out of buisness.

although ive never had a fish that tasted like mud.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome,Jim and Thanks for the tip. I just remove the red meat from mine [especially from OK waters as the red does have a funky taste] But here in my local lake the cats taste entirely diff,no red meat either.I wonder if its a water clenliness issue?

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    thanks for the tip Jim. I always make sure to trim off the yellowish belly fat on the fillets too. Especially on Catfish.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the tip on the vinegar. I always make sure to remove all the red meat on my fish fillets, no matter what the species may be. This is where all the mud taste comes from.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Ive been told that soaking them in milk helps with the taste.

7. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Thanks for the tip man. I may be able to get my ol'lady to eat fish if I do that:wink:.

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Removing all the red, yellow meat and silver from the belly is the key. I can clean a 20 blue out of the mississippi and have it taste the same or better than a pond raise fish. Don't skin big fish. Fillet them and do it so the red meat next to the skin is cut off. On belly fillets scrape off all the silver on the inside and cut off yellow meat. Cut out the red line that runs the middle of the fillet.

9. jerry w

jerry w New Member

State:
    ms
    Don't know about fish but milk does wonders for deer meat.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LMAO. Remind me not to visit that butcher! Although, I have heard of using vinegar even on poultry with a smell, and that greasiness that it gets in the early stages of decomp, and it working. I don't know how safe it is in reality, but old timers do it. Not me. I like beef when it starts to oxidize (turn brown), poultry or pork...no way man.

11. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    thank you for the information,
    I think I'll try that on some larger fish,if it works,,
    them big boys might be in some trouble this summer.LOL:big_smile:

12. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    Jerry

Try this with your deer meat. 24 hrs before you get ready to eat it, take it out of its packaging, put it in a container of some sort, cover with cold water and put in refrig. When you go to the Frig for something, check the container. If the water is blood red, poor the water out and replace with fresh water. By the time you get ready to cook the meat, all of the blood will b out of it. (of course this does not work with deer hamburger.

13. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    I'm with wayne here, you have to remove all of the slop from the fish to make it taste good. The key is to remove the red, brown strip (depends what type fish and where it was caught) from the inside of the fillet (the area where the meat touches the bone). I fillet all of my catfish no matter what size.

14. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    There is a muscular layer that connects the skin to the body . It is about 1/32 to upwards of 1/8 inch in bigger fish and dark red in color. You must trim all of that off . It is the culprit for ruining your otherwise tasty fillets. The harder a fish fights the thicker this muscle tissue. If you put your fish on ice a half hour or so before you clean them .....most of the blood receeds into the major organs so there wil be little rinsing needed.

15. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, leave as much of this 'red meat' on the skin when filleting as possible. THEN... and this is a biggie...On a catfish, trim all the yellow fat from the fillet then...marinate in a buttermilk and Lousiana Hot Sauce for a couple hours.. You talking about some tasty fish! Good fishing AND eating! Luke Clayton

16. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    I want to invite you to begin listening to catfishradio www.catfishadio.com I do a weekly outdoor cooking segment. Might be about making ham at home and smoking it or frying fish. I think you will enjoy. Just go to catfishradio.com and scroll down, you'll see the different segments. Happy listening! Luke Clayton

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like to soak my fish in a carbonated beverage like 7up. Something fizzy. Also in the belly meat portion of a blue or white cat, i remove all the blue film junk thats attached. Most cats in my area aren't bad to have a mudline, just the white bass and stripers that i don't target or eat anyway. The buttermilk is another good way to soak it.