Removing glue

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tigger_tat_55, Mar 21, 2007.

1. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi there,

I have removed the carpet from a 1977 jon that looks like it has had many coats of glue put down. any idea how to remove the stuff before I replace the carpet???

thanks

2. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have an aluminum deck but a belt sander did the trick for me

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Use your wife/Girl friends hot air hair dryer and a wire brush. Soften the glue and scrape it off. Will do your elbows a lot of good also. Might also find some chemicals at a paint store which would help remove glue. Would really hesitate using a power sander as my luck would be an instant man-made hole.

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You could try zip strip, the paint remover. I would read the label first as some of that stuff corrodes aluminum. Or a heat gun/paint stripper.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Try laquer thinner ... put some on and then use a painters broad knife to scrape it off.... Use in well ventilated area....

bayrunner ray

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Goof Off works great, I had to remove the glue from the rug in my 23'. Use a good resperator though, the fumes are brutal. Soak the adhesive with it and let it sit for 15 minutes.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Depending what it's made out of, you can try MEK, buy it by the gallon or quart at Lowes or paint stores. It will flat eat the glue from bumperstickers. It is used to wipe down cars before painting. Use it in a well ventilated area or get ready to think you have been sniffing glue. lol lol The fumes from that stuff will get you goofy.

I have some to remove and I'm going to use a big twisted wire cup on my Milwaukee grinder. My dryed glue has some rubber backing stuck in with it, so the wire wheel will do it fine.

Besides I would have to spend money on the MEK, and I already have the wire cup. lol

8. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    thanks to all,

I will give it at try and let you know how it goes,

thanks again..:lol:

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    asetone from an auto parts store will remove it fast thats what I use to remove old glue left over from removing tint from windows works realy well.