removing glue from arrow shaft????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by dcoynut, Jan 15, 2008.

1. dcoynut

dcoynut New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I am trying for the first time refletch some carbon arrows.....I am having some trouble removing the old glue.....I talked to a guy who runs an bow shop and he said to use acetone....I tried this and it does work but it's very slow going, is this the way it's supposed to be or is there a faster technique...I don't want to damaged the dipped camo finish....Open to any Ideas...Thanks

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    before i learned about acetone i used a razor blade at a 90 degree angle to the shaft and it seemed to work alright. i have refletched and shot the same arrows i did this on and it didn't seem to hurt the finish or the arrow at all.

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    there is a tool made for removing glue, I know it can be found at 3rivers archery. and probly several other websites
    just do a search for archery and you should find one

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    a piece of broken glass makes a good scraper :big_smile: :cool2:

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    A dull utility knife is what I used to scrape off glue before I bought a Zip Strip. The Zip Strip just makes the job go faster.

Scrape off as much glue as possible with your knife or w/e you are using. Then get and old shirt or rag and put a little acetone or 91% alcohol on it and rub the shaft where the old glue is really good. This should do a pretty good job of getting rod of the old glue.

I like to wait about 15 minutes atleast before refletching so that the shaft is completely dry.

6. jrbb00

jrbb00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bohning sells a scrapper that I use and at the moment I can not remember the name of it but it was cheap and works. Red handle and sraper blade inset so you do not cut the arrow it just scrappes the glue off.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A tool called the zip strip works great and is cheap to buy. I always used a knife and it worked fine.

8. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Use a dull pocket knife or stripping tool. Then get some comet and warm water and rough the shaft up or you can use 600 grit or finer wet sand paper, this allows the vane to adhere better to the shaft. Then rub down shaft with 90% isopropyl alchohol let dry. Apply glue to vanes and put on shaft and wait at least 5 minutes before removing clamp. Or you can put wraps on shaft then put your fletchings, they seem to hold the fletchings on the shaft better than just the bare shaft. You can go to Bohning or any website for fletchings and they will explain.