Removing gasoline

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Ol Man, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 1988 Bass Tracker Magna 17 that I would like to get the old gas out. I thought I could syphon it but can't get my plastic hose down the filler neck to the gas. Anyone have a clue?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    When in a situation like this if you can't remove the tank to turn it over use some 3/8 th rubber line and a electric pump.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin

what i normally do is i'll remove the hose from the filler right at the tank, then u can get your syphon tube into the tank, but it isn't goin to get all of the gas, there will still be a little bit left in the tank, but not much

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Try a long match and run like he$$. LOL! Sorry would you expect anything less from me. NO!

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would park it on a slope that forces all the gas towards the the fuel pick up and then use one of those cheap electric pumps from the auto parts store and connect it to the line that goes into you fuel filter and a long piece of spare hose from the outlet side of pump, then just pump it out .

good luck
    mike

6. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

fuel line and an inline elec. fuel pump works like a champ! or you can do what my buddy did. he had a snowmobile full of old gas he used his brand new out of the box shop vac to suck the gas out.:embarassed: i watched from the road laughing my a$$ off, with cell phone in hand ready to call the paramedics i thought he was going to explode.lol

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    The way I got the old gas out of my boat was to take the fitting off the gas line where it hooks into the motor. I hung the gas line over the side of the boat so the end was lower than the tank and started pumping the bulb. It started to siphon and drained every bit of it. If the bulb won't get the gas started out the end of the gas line, hold your finger over the end of the gas line while pumping the bulb and let it build up pressure. Release the pressure by moving your finger away and quickly put your finger back on the end of the gas line. Repeat this until it works. The fastest way is like Bubba said.

8. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Is that anything like "Fire in the hole, Fire in the hole?" Maybe this would be an instance that you hope you can run faster than your guardian angel can fly!