Removing Fuel

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by turnerchop5, Jan 27, 2009.

1. turnerchop5

turnerchop5 Member

State:
    ky
    What is the easiest way to remove the fuel out of my 17' tracker. Looking at buying a drill powered syphon. Any suggestions. Thanks fellas

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i'd just use the fuel line you have. take off the connection for the motor and squeeze the bulb until gas comes out. drain into container. might take a few longer than power pump, but safer.
    gary

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    What he said!! Most of those drill powered pumps say "not for use with flamable liquids" for a reason. Not to mention your drill most likely has what i would call a vented case, and you can usualy see sparks in there.....not a good idea around gasoline. You might get away with it, but what is your skin and eyebrows worth to you?

Get you wanna them kerosene pumps.....you pump the bulb to get it flowing, then it uses siphoning action to finish the job

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree , the kerosene pump is probably the safest way. You might have to put a longer hose on the end that goes in the tank depending on what setup you have. Be carefull.

5. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    ditto to what matt,gary, and cris said for sure.I did mine last summer like these boys said and it really worked

"safety first"

6. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    i use a 12 volt electric fuel pump its alot quicker if you can find one reasonable,mine came off of a blown up in board boat engine.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I did it some time back, but I just invested in a 12 volt electric fuel pump, since I wanted to pump it through a fuel water separator at the same time. As it turns out, I've had a need for the fuel pump on a couple of occasions since, so it wasn't exactly money wasted. :wink:

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

1st off welcome, 2nd. why ya removing it?, water or something in it, I just siphon the tanks out when I need to remove it, have an air compressor?, get your length of hose and about 6 inches up from you out side end cut a small slice in it and poke an air nipple from your compressor, won't take long and it will be flowing full (none in the mouth either) and if your needing to clean something from the bottom of the tank you can move the hose around while putting the air to it and it will become a small vacuum and suck all the crap out of the tank. Cleaned many tanks out this way, works well.