removing front bench seat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by fat_fish55, Jan 8, 2008.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know this has probably been asked and answered before but here it goes..
    i was wanting to know if removing the front bench seat out of a 16 ft john boat would weaken it too much. it is just a thin strip of metal going across that is screwed on not rivoted. there is no supports going down below the seat which leads me to believe it might be possible. also directly in front of the seat is an addition to the front deck which should do some good. i can take a picture if would help you guys. thanks

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I bet it offers more structure than people might think... whether or not you'd notice it, I am not sure. I've seen some websites that are supposed to give instructions how to remove one without losing structural integrity. If I remember right you have to pay like $20 to buy the online book, but it may be worth it just for ideas. I am not sure if I can post the link, but if you are interested I can PM you the link.

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Anyone fish the annual shad run with rod and reel? if so I would like some information on how to go about it.any help will be appreciated.

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    ooopppsss!!!! I'm Not trying to jack your thread.I think I BUGERD somewhere.:crazy::embarassed:

5. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    It can be done, but a pic would help as some boats use the bench for support more than others. Is there flotation inside the bench? If so thats another thing to take into consideration. I removed the bench in my jon and have had no problems structurally but would like to see a pic before I give the advice to remove.

Matt

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Bench "seats" are not seats, they're thwarts that are convenient to sit on. They're designed in as an integral part of the boat's frame.

There is no way to remove one, without affecting the strength of the hull, doing it and getting away with it notwithstanding.

7. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    Some yes, but some , not so much. I've seen some older riveted jons and v hulls where removing a bench seat would be a big problem and I wouldn't trust them to not cave in over time or sooner. Now other welded and even some riveted jons it can be done on and will work without any flex.

1.) Look at how the strigers are laid out. If there's one under the bench w/ the same spacing as the rest of the boat then it can be done w/ a little xtra bracing up the sides.

2.)When cutting the bench out don't cut it flush w/ the sides or pop out the rivets to remove, instead leave aprox. 1.5" ( or whatever the thickness of the boats stringers are ) leaving rivets or welds intact. Now, if there is a stringer on the bottom which was under the bench, it will be missing the vertical supports This is where you may need a welder to replicate 2 vertical pieces like the rest of the boat has ( I didn't do this on mine as it wasn't needed) .

My boats going on 6 seasons of hard use since removing the bench and there is no flexing, twisting, or movement of any kind. But again, it can't be done w/ all boats.

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    here are the pics
    the ribbing or whatever it would be called along the bottom i would think would be the support
    also i dont think any cutting would be necessary because it is just held on with 3 screws on each side not rivets
    tell me what ya think
    the 2nd picture is the back bench which i could see why you wouldnt want to remove that

Attached Files:

9. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    IMHO it looks like it can be taken out. I would have some gussets made up similar to the ones that are on every other stringer already. Being that you said it is only screwed in now then you could unscrew it, test the sides and if it does have flex then make up gussets or replace the bench. There's a nice sag in the bench now. Can you move the sides by putting weight on the bench?

Matt

10. 07Fatboy

07Fatboy New Member

State:
    KY
    Just my $.02, but I wouldn't be doing that.

11. dr_love2112

dr_love2112 New Member

State:
    texas (liberty)
    Dont the seats add strenght to the boat, i want to do it, but too scared that it will twist up

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have done it before it might weakin it a little but it will be ok :0a26:

13. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Little strip like that, I'd pull it out. Not like your taking out a full bench with foam in it.

14. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I removed the seats from a 16 foot lowe several years ago. these where bench seats that were riveted to the sides from top to bottom. I removed both front and back bench's replaced the rivets with no problems in hull integrity . Boat is still in use today. From the looks of your boat in the pics, you should be able to remove the bench with no problems, and as it is screwed in put it back if there is to much flex.

15. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I personaly think you can remove it, looks like its in the way anyhow,dont think it will flex at all plus youll gain some more room,always a plus..

16. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think you got about 50/50 response on this. I understand the concern and if it was me I would remove that middle bench. I don't know if I have ever seen one designed like that anyway. Most of the jons I have seen the bench actually connects to the floor of the boat and the sides. That thing is like putting a 2x8 across the boat and screwing it in. I can't see how that would make the boat any stronger. If it was mine i would remove it. Then if I was worried about it I would find me a good metal worker and have them create something that could brace it back up. The thing I think about with this stuff is that the some of the newer boats don't have the middle bench either from factory. So why can't it be done.

17. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know this is late but i was wondering if there would be a easy way to tell if the boat would flex?