Removing factory aluminum bench seats on jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Montgomery, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have an old alumacraft semi v bottom jon boat. and wanting to change it up some . i want to remove all factory seats. build small floor and side walls to it . and mount 2 seats on adjustable post. exactly were i want them to be you know . is this a bad idea , removing those seats. will it compermise the strenght of the whole boat . thought maybe the seats helped keep it strong and together . and ideas would help. also exactly how do you secure your new floor or decking . to your boat. screwe through the hull. or glue things in place. i really hate to screw it all togther. and were i drilled leaks in 35 places. can anyone help me ???

2. AfterTheBiguns

AfterTheBiguns New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wouldnÂ’t do it. The seats are probably the supports for the boat.

3. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    the seat give it strenght acoss it .what we did was build a plaform fron front seat to the front and then we built a floor between the seats ,,,, good luck :big_smile:

4. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    hello mike ........... i took out the middle seat in my 16 ft boat ... i had to run 4 runs of aluminum tubing down the sides of the boat , where u are talking boxes , i think .......... the boat is stronger now than when it was bought ......... i run the misipy river down here , so i have put the boat to a good test ............ engineeer did tell me this . if the boat seats are attached to the floor of the boat , leave them alone........ long as they are attached to the sides of the boat , structural integrity can be built back in after removal.......... hope this helps ............... the cost is on up there , i can tell u that...................

5. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    my seats are not mounted to the floor. i checked. they are mounted to the sides , kinda high . how did you reenforce the boat after removing them . i'm not sure what you mean .....

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    mike .... look at my avatar pic ...... that is my boat ...... u can see the 2 runs of aluminum tubing on each side ,welded to the side ribs ..... the runs go from the front (where u see in the avatar) all the way back to the front of the back seat ...............

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    If is was me, I wouldn't do it. My boat has not stringers past the rear bench or none above the front deck Both are welded solid the the sides of the boat for support. Now, If you had some custom stringers built and welded into place, It would be a go.

8. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've taken the middle seats out of the last 3 boats I've owned without a prob. Things may be different with yours, though. You've got to consider the type of water, how much weight you're carrying, how strong your motor is, etc. Steve sounds right too. As far as your seat being attached to the floor or not. As for decking, I attached my floor to the ribs. Use stainless. It costs more but is worth it. Make sure the floor fits as perfectly as possible. If well designed/ built this will also add to the integral strength of the boat. Good luck:big_smile: I'm currently doing the same to a jon boat I just bought a month ago. The first fish I caught out of it is also my biggest yet @ 45#. Hope that's a sign of things to come.

9. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Bumped for Mike.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It's funny as to how many of us are structural engineers, without attending one college class on the subject. These guys get paid big bucks to design the stuff we use. It like I'm saying I'm smarter than they are to modify things the way I want. Gosh, why not just have the boat built the way we want it at the factory? To each his own, but if ever your boats fail, I hope its in shallow water and close to shore.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Why not buy a new custom boat? Let's see.

$22,000 for new boat with design I like
    1,500 for old boat that I can fix like I want.
    --------
    $20,500

I agree that buying a new boat would have been nice, and a lot less trouble, but I just don't have that kind of money.

12. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    you cant put it much better then that.