Removing EVA foam grips

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by alton, Jun 22, 2009.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am looking a buying an inexpensive 12' casting rod, which are considered snagging rods around here. They have very thick EVA foam grips on them, which I hate. I would like to remove them and replace with some kind of cork wrap or whatever. I would like to know if anyone has done this and if I am wasting time trying. Thanks.

2. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I have done it a couple times, the biggest two obstacles to over come are:
    1) getting a blank with enough diameter to use just cork tape
    2) getting the transition from the reel seat to the new handle material to be smooth.

If you have a blank with enough thickness to provide a comfortable grip then all you need to is to use a razor knife to gently slice down the foam to where it is glued in place. Then like a surgeon just slice the foam off the blank like boning a ham.. being very careful not to cut into the blank. If you have a glass blank this won't be as big an issue than it is with graphite.

Once you get the majority of the foam off down to the glue, you have to carefully use some fine grit sand paper to remove the last of the epoxy soaked foam. Again, try not to get into the blank at all.

There is another option that I did on a Breakway rod that had eva foam. I used fine sandpaper (120-150 grit if memory serves me right) and sanded the foam down to where it was about 1/8th an inch below the reel seat. Then you buy some Rod Armor (got mine from Mud Hole) and slip it over the eva and use a heat gun to shrink the Rod Armor.

If you remove the foam completely you can also use cork tape to build up to the reel seat and then apply the Rod Armor for additional girth.

This is a quick run down but really it's not that hard. just take your time and don't damage or scar or cut your blank in the process.

3. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    I convert these all the time, like Crucial stated in his post just peel the foam off with a sharp knife. Wrapping 4mm poly craft cord makes for a quick functional handle, or parachute cord works as well. Put down 2 to 3 strips of double stick outdoor carpet tape on the handle and wrap over the tape then tie off just like a guide wrap. Here's a pic of our corded handles.http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll75/LipRippers/100_0256.jpg

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Very nice, thank you.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I wrap mine with tarred trotline stagin, without any tape and the knot is pulled up under neith the wrap.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    wrap some high tinsel braided line around your gloved hand and just saw/slide it down your blank,It Will not cut into your blank and its alot safer,,Then take some 800 sandpaper and smooth out to the blank, then do the corktape..You can put the tape on smaller rods too, you just have to go at different angles, if you go with 2 runs put the second on in reverse of the first.:wink:

7. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    can you show A LINK TO A GUIDE WRAP?? and maybe a place to get the parachute cord??

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107590

Somebody else may have some information on the cord,,leland @ CR will chime in or pm him, he's are newest sponsor here od the BOC. They use it :wink:

9. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Do you have an Army surplus in the area? They usually have it or if not a mountain climbing / hiking supply? How about a Hobby Lobby? they carry the 4mm. colored poly cordage on the 50yd. skeins. I'll post pics of a how to wrap a cord handle for you guy's. Very simple and when it gets worn out...just strip and re-wrap!!!:big_smile:

10. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    yes theres a couple around!! thanks guys!! thanks flamekeeper!! thats exactly what ive been looking for!!

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Spectra line is what you need and some gloves, It will peel it off nicely.

Sorry I wasn't thinking clearly before and just remembered the name.:eek:oooh: