Removing circle hooks from catfish

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Chief, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    is it just me or are circles a freakin pain to get out of the corner of a fishes mouth? i've started to pinch the barbs off my hooks and that seems to make a big difference. anyone else do this?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It's all in your technique.

You have to basically turn the hook in a circle - grab the eye and rotate it toward the point - it'll unscrew itself quick and easy like.

Another of those things that's easier to demonstrate than describe.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Just As Mr.T, Said, "It's All In the Rolling Technique". When I First Started Using Them, I liked The Hookups but Thought It Was A Pain To Remove. Now After Changing My Method, I Have No Problem At All.

Good Luck & It's Worth The Effort to learn The Technique, Elliot

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It sure beats trying to retrieve a swallowed hook!

5. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah thats exactly what i would do, but the barb would not go back through at all until i crimped it down with my pliers

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I don't know about you, but the only hook that I have gut hooked a cat with (excluding bullheads, because they swallow anything) is a circle hook. And even with bullheads, 95% of the time when they ARE guthooked, it is still with a circle.

But that aside, like everyone else has been saying, try to rotate the hook out of the fish's mouth. Just take the eye, and try to make the hook point the counterpoint of the rotation. And I must agree with you too, it is more of a pain to get out than a J hook...especially from those dang bullheads :wink:

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I agree with Phillip, it a bit more of a pain but it beats a gut hook. :smile2:

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    If your getting circle hooks swallowed consistantly then you are using to small of a hook! The only time I have had a circle hook swallowed was when a cat grabed my worm on a number 8 circle hook.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well it is any circle hook any time. I have never had a circle hook get a cat in the corner of the mouth. I had an 8/0 octopus circle that hooked the fish through the brain, almost. I dont think thats exactly what its supposed to do :crazy:

10. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hmmmm. how big was that fish that got brain hooked? whats your gear setup and technique?

11. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    It was a channel that was about 3 pounds. I was using a good sized liver on a slip sinker rig with a medium heavy action Quantum Torsion rod, and a Shakespeare SKP2000 reel from Wal Mart spooled with 20 pound test Cajun Red Cast line.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    About half the time, my circles gut hook cats. I'm fishing mainly for channels it the 2-5 lb range. My circles are 3/0 to 6/0 and it doesn't seem to matter which size I use, the result is still a lot of gut hooked cats. I've had less of a problem with kahles. One thing I've notices about circles is sometimes the bite is light and I don't even know there is a fish on until I start reeling. By that time, the fish has swallowed the bait, hook and all.

13. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    pretty wierd that you gut hook on a circle
    the last two years all my cats have been on circles with 1 gut hook
    only problem is if they are too big of hooks itll get them through the eye occasionaly but the fish still seem to be fine

14. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    As many have already said, I have been using circle hooks for the past couple of years, 2 or 3, and have had maybe 1 gut hook and that was my own fault. I fell asleep on an all night trip and he had been sitting there awhile.

I would recommend a couple of things...
    1) Fish for bigger fish... they make better stories
    2) Don't let the hooks sit so long... If the circle is getting gutted, it has been there too long and was never set.
    3) When removing circle hooks you have to remember how they are shaped... it is not a J but rather a G... I use pliers on mine and rotate the G :roll_eyes:
    4) Don't squeeze the barb.... you waste a hook that way... if you miss a big one because of that you will be pissed
    a) cut your line and leave the hook in the fish until you are done cleaning it... then remove it .... or
    b) take your time removing the hook and the barb will follow... afterall it is rather attached to the hook :tounge_out:

15. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hooked in the brain, never heard of that. I have always had them get hooked right in the corner of there mouths. I just raise the rod tip and reel in the slack, and the fight is on! I have had 20 pound carp and 8 pound channel cats hook emselves right in the corners even with a small #6 hook.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I primarily use Kahles but the unhooking principle is the same ,the hook has to be rotated.I found a very good tool from Cabelas but they are available every where.It looks like the letter F.Simply slide the hook into the groove and squeeze the handles together,rotates the hook right out most of the time and if it doesnt it give you the perfect grip close to the barb so you can manually do it.:smile2:

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    There are two types of circle hooks, one has an offset point the other doesn't. The ones with the offset point will gut hook a fish. When you look at an offset point hook the point will be to the side of the shank, a non-offset hook the point is directly in line with the shank. The non-offset hook is designed to hook fish in the corner of the mouth, the offset point is just design to hook fish it don't matter where.

18. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Howdy All,
    I've just recently joined and was reading over the problems you all are having with "Circle" hooks and I'm a bit confused. {nothing new there just ask my wife}
    I'm still getting set up, equipment wise, to go out fishing for the BIG "Cats", with the wife along too :), and we are planning on releasing what we catch, especially anything over kitchen skillet size.
    My questions are as follows;
    1. If you guthook a fish, how do you get the hook out without killing the fish? It sounds to me like if you guthook a fish, they are "Doomed", no matter what size they are!
    2. Would you please share what brand/style/size/ect., of hooks that you use the most for going after the BIG cats. Say 30#/thirty pounds and up? This way I will have a better idea what to buy to try out first and will make fewer mistakes in what I buy.
    Thank You ALL; for your time and help with these questions.
    "Ed/Coyote"
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

19. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I wont use a circle hook smaller then a 8/0, never had a problem. Caught real small ones and large ones too.

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    For channels I use 0/3 & 0/4 and often smaller for live bait! Owner is my hook of choice! 98 percent of my fish are caught in the corner of the mouth. I use circle hooks for panfish (when I can get them) and stripers as well!