Removing center seat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Jbuck, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    I have a 1970's 1648 jon and am wanting to remove the center seat but am concerned it may cause the boat to flex too much causing the rivits to work loose. What do you think?

2. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You are right. Add some bracing to the sides and you should be fine. Duck hunters have been doing it for some time.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I did 2 like that.
    Never had any problems with mine. I took a grinder and ground the heads off the rivets on the seat side. Then used 2 hammers to brad the rivets back tight. Never did leak.
    Last boat i took the seat out of was used to make a living out of. And the boat was used 6 days+ per week for 2 years Not any problems with it and it was put through stuff that should have ripped it apart if it was going to happen.
    Pete

4. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Thanks guys, I have had this boat for 20 years and have wanted that center seat out since I got it. Now if I can just remember who I loaned my side grinder to.

5. jeffrobodeen

jeffrobodeen New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Many of these seats have a floatation foam inside them. I know mine on my 15' Alumacraft do. Didn't know if this should be a concern or not.

Good luck,
    Jeffro

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Perhaps if the center seat does have floatation you could add more to your remaining seats. I say you can never have enough.

7. mississippicatfisher

mississippicatfisher New Member

State:
    Pontotoc, Mississippi
    i had a 14 ft jon & i removed the center seat and never had a lick of trouble out of it.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To me, that would say I'm smarter than the engineers who designed the boat. I am of the philosopy it's best to leave well enough alone. The center seat was there when you bought the boat and it didn't matter then... it shouldn't now.

9. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know of people who have removed the center seat with no problem, and i haven't heard any horror stories. i have a 1972 18' jon. i am getting some new stress cracks every time i inspect the boat. people have told me aluminum gets brittle as it ages. 34 years is getting up there, thats 238 dog years. you might want to think about this before weakening an older boat. i'm not a metallourgist (sp), just a thought. good luck and good fishin"
    catwacker

10. kycomphers

kycomphers New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i am considering doing the same thing to my boat and was wondering the best way to close up the rivet holes that are left after removing the seat

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If you grind the heads off the inside. Just take 2 hammer and brad the ones in the boat back down. That is what I always did on mine.
    As when you remove the seat theres enough left to brad back down.
    Pete
    Now just cause I did not have any problems and Used mine boats hard. Does mean it can't happen.
    So do it at your own risk.

12. kycomphers

kycomphers New Member

State:
    kentucky
    after removing the seat i am going to install a deck to about where the front of the bench used to be so flex should be taken care of i hope