Removing carpet glue

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Koon, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What is the easiest way to remove carpet glue from an aluminum pontoon deck?

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Alot of elbow grease. LOL I put new carpet in my boat a couple of years ago and I tried alot of different things. The best I found was gasoline. I poured a little on and let it soak in for about 10 minutes and used a scraper. That made it alot easier.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If acetone wont soften it try a heat gun and a painter's 5 in 1 tool.
    Or if you have a side grinder you can try a 60 grit flap disk. I dont know if the glue will melt and clog the disk or not.

I've been stripping bottom paint with one and once in a while I'll hit a spot were the paint will melt and foul the disk. I hit a piece of bare metal to clean it off and continue on.

If you are going to use the product to put on the deck we talked about in my toon thread you'll need to scratch or etch the aluminum anyway for a metal primer to latch on to. A grinder will get er done.

4. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    used a grinder on another boat I replaced the carpet on and it gummed up the wheel... might try a belt sander.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If anyone ever wants to get glue off a wood floor in a boat BEWARE!
    The vast majority of these floors have nothing but a rolled on coat of polyester fiberglass resin to "treat" them applied. When you start throwing chemicals at the glue it will break down the resin and may not be noticeable.

I would suggest getting the glue off without using any petroleum based products, Go back with 2 coats of epoxy then whatever floor covering you choose.
    Some petroleum based products will cause the epoxy not to bond.
    Epoxy can be used over polyester resins but not vice versa.

6. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    Just went through this and tried acetone which seemed to soften the glue enough to scrap it off. Heat gun I have done before until it died but it did work. I checked the net, used "Ask.com" and ran a search and got a number of different answers. Some said to use a material called "goo off" I think it was. Went to some stores looking and ended up not finding anything new. Everyone talked about elbow grease and stuff like that which was no fun but it did work, even though it was too much like work.
    Have fun with the exercise.
    Let us know if you find anything that really works for future reference. Thanks

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    3M make an adhesive remover that is what I would try, I use it at work and it has never hurt paint, glass, or any thing else, but read the instructions before using it.

8. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mark... checked to documentation and they suggested this for Aluminum decks

[FONT=Arial,Bold]
    STEEL AND ALUMINUM​
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]
    All bare metal substrates should be appropriately primed after being treated for
    rust or removal of old paint.​
    [/FONT]
    1. All smooth metal should be cleaned, and aggressively roughed by sanding with 36 or
    40 grit sand paper OR by acid etch. (ACID ETCH IS RECOMMENDED).
    2. Clean and dry surface.
    3. Prime with MP-10.
    4. Test for adhesion first, before completing job. Apply The Product.

Would the Acid Etch remove the glue or do you think I should grind/sand it first.​

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Nope. It will only etch where there is no glue.

Like the acid pontoon cleaners. Only the bare aluminum will get cleaned . If it has bottom paint or crusting it wont touch it.

I suspect a heat gun and a putty knife are going to be your best bet.

10. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well my other boat sold today so not I can use that money for the toon... thanks for your input. Time to put some elbow grease into it.

11. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This aluminum deck is a breeze to clean up... Belt sander with 30grit followed by 50 grit... took 3 hours.