Removing carpet glue from aluminum

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by fishingbuddy4, Oct 28, 2007.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I have all the carpet off the boat ,but i am having a hard time getting the glue off ,have tried several things ,any ideals.

2. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dependind on the type of glue. If it's contact glue Xylol or Tulene. If its anything else use Strip-ez and a hot water power washer. Are you going to recarpet or paint it?

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
  4. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    That old glue is hard to get off.
    You need to scuff it up before painting.
    We DA or Scotch Brite the aluminum and wipe it down with thinner before painting.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Actone, let it soak on it with a rag and then scrape it off. Still a lot of work.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Side grinder with flap disk:big_smile: I love those things.

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Robert catfish slime works real good at, makeing you not notice gule spots. anything over 60 lb. is the best slime for covering up. glue spots. Good Luck.
    Jim:big_smile:

8. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    go to walmart and grab some aircraft stripper, you will have that glue off in no time. unless you enjoy pain i would suggest some rubber gloves. it will burn you. and some acetone to clean up. but brush it pn with a cheap paint brush and ir will come off with ease with a putty knife or any type of scraper

9. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Got a tip on wd40 works great spray on and scape off real easy

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Try one spot with hot water and try another with a solvent like paint thinner. Paint thinner is more oily and wont evaporate quickly.

11. Houdini

Houdini New Member

State:
    Maryland
    999 will remove the old glue, spray it on & let it soak in. Old glue will rinse off with press-washer, available from State Chemical Co.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    grinder with wire wheel. I had to do the same thing for my bass tracker. It will take 30 mins to get all the glue off this way. Then take to carwash and spray all the old glue and junk outta there

13. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    if you are replacing the carpet do you really need to take it down to bare metal or can you just clean the majority of the old glue off etc?

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You'll find most folks that are taking carpet out on this site aren't going back in with carpet. They are building cat rigs.:smile2:

Too many options these days besides carpet and easier to keep clean.
    Seadek
    non slip coatings
    and vinyl flooring to name a few.

15. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    well... if for what i can assume is a crazy reason... you did want to put carpet back in... is it necessary to get all the old glue off of the aluminum? It would seam to me that you would want the cleanest surface possible for the new glue to adhere to.. but does it matter?

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Robert, I'm like Mark J - the 4" grinder is one of the greatest tools made for boat work:smile2: If you need a grinder, you can use mine and I've got a couple of wire cups that I used on mine to get rid of some glue and silicone. I like the flapper discs, but if you've got a lot of glue (and if I remember right your boat had a lot of carpet) the glue will tend to "clog" up your discs (and flappers arent cheap). Lemme know,

Branden

17. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I used everything from wire wheels, cups, brushes, and 3m roloc (36 grit) disk on an angle grinder, 36 grit sanding disk on a 5 inch sander / grinder when i redid the carpet in my tracker. I did and would recommend you remove all old glue and get it down to clean aluminum with a roughly sander area with the 36 -40 grit paper. Mine has been finished for going on four years and it still looks great. I even use the pressure washer to get the slime out ever other trip and the carpet is still where i put it.:big_smile: The prep is most important and then the type of glue you use is also very important. I have did a fair amount of carpet work and some upholstery work and I used and prefer a spray contact adhesive that auto upholstery shops use. It is designed to replace old vinyl tops that came on some of the quality cars from the past. Most upholstery shops will sale you a gallon or two. I have glue everything from carpet, treed, leather, vinyl, foam padding, even laminated plastics sheet material, aluminum, and thin wood with the glue. Better make sure it is where you want it to be because that is where it will be when it touches. The stuff is pretty mean when used correctly. You use just a cheap spray gun or brush / roller to apply. The spray gun works the best.:big_smile: I cannot recall the brand i used but it is mustard / honey in color and comes in five gallon buckets. Ask most any quality upholstery shop what they use for contact adhesive and if they will sale you some to use. Be sure to tell them what you are doing so they know you are not competing with them for business.

Just my two cents, hope it helps,
    David

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I cant figure out what the problem is here.Everybody knows the best way to remove anything from aluminium.Take a picture of your boat (Trust me you will find it comes in handy).Then raise the temperature of the aluminium to 1221 deg F.Pour the aluminum into a container and continue to maintain it at that temp.You will have noticed all the glue,carpet,wood,rubber and other unwanted items have separated nicely.Throw the unwanted stuff away.!!!!Did I tell you to take all your fishing gear out first?????:big_smile:Then take the newly clean aluminium and remold it.This is where the picture comes in handy!!!!!!:smile2::eek:oooh:Voila no glue.Now use something other than carpet like Mark said!!!:big_smile::crazy::smile2:

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Have the grinder, and the neighbor just bought him a new sand blaster, (since we are always swapping tools) I think I will get me some beads and try that on the glue, wish I never had the carpet in it! any thought as to what type of blasting agent would be best for the flooring (Aluminum) to remove glue and thin carpet? what ya think? I have 100# of glass already gonna test it at lower pressure, should remove it rather well...... I hope, LOL

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not sure what the best blast media would be on AL. Probably something relatively soft - unless you want that "rough look":wink: Let me know how it turns out! I've got a small 20# sand blaster, but frankly between it being so small and the hellacious mess from blasting I'd just as soon use the grinder and take the Motrin for my back when I'm done! Good Luck~

Branden