Removing Boat from Trailer on land?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by SubnetZero, Mar 22, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    When you need to replace your bunk, or bunk carpeting, work on trailer, etc.. How do you get the boat off it at the house?

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good thread I need to know how I can get my pontoon off an on the trailer at home.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have access to a forlift and that is how i replaced my bunks lifted one side at a time. had the new bunks ready to go. just put a big block of wood between the hull and forks and lifted it up enough to replace the bunk. you can also use floor or bottle jacks too just put wood to protect the hull and do one side at a time.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The type of boat and trailer you have would be helpful but what i have done is to tie off to the transom hooks and then tie to something like a nice big tree. Ease the tow vehicle forward while someone else is laying down a bed of old tires for the boat to sit on.
    Basicly you pull the trailer out from under the boat.

Alot of thought has to be put into your backyard engineering before you start.
    First, you dont want to screw up your transom and you need to make provisions for the motor. You dont want it slamming into the ground.
    Another thing to think about is if it is fiberglass you dont want to leave that hull unsupported off the trailer very long or the hull will sag and never be the same.

Last you have to have some fore thought as to how you are going to get it back on the trailer. If the trailer is a tilting model it isnt a problem.
    If it is carpeted bunks before I loaded it I would spray the bunks down with WD 40. they will be slick then and reducing stress on your bow eye.

But my first thought for a bunk replacement is to shore up the boat on the trailer with some blocks and jack to take the weight of the bunk.
    Then you can make your repairs.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I run a 2x8 under the back and set it on blocks. Then you can jack up the fornt and slowly move the trail forward. When the boat is 80% off the trail block the fornt same as the back. Lift up on the fornt of the trail and put it out. I have done lots of them this way we set them on blocks at the shows the same way.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have done it a few times, pretty much as Mark described it! What I did, was use a tow strap around the bow, to pull it off and I put the strap around the stern to pull it on, instead of all that weight on 1 bolt!

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    If you have enough boat hanging off the back of the trailer to get blocks under it, crank your tongue jack down. The back of the boat will go up. Put some blocks under it and crank the jack back up. Now the back of the boat is off the trailer and on the blocks. You did park under a tree didn't you? OK, then tie the bow to a tree limb and crank your jack back down a little until the bow is off the trailer. Now pull the trailer out and do your repairs.

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Thanks Grumpy ! That will work for my pontoon. I was trying to think of how to jack it up . I like this way, I think it will work.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've seen it done a few ways and Tim's way is probally the best I've seen done if your terrain is right and you take the time to properly block it.
    The key here is to over engineer rather then under engineer. Boats are heavy and awkward at best to handle.
    You can wind up with alot of damage quick particularly on a glass hull.
    Cracks in glass are very expensive to fix.

If i was going to leave it off the trailer for an extended time for something like a project boat I would go ahead and cradle it mainly for the purpose of safety to people and against wind or a kid running into it and knocking it off the blocks.

10. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well that was the next step in my project. thanks for all the info.

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have used the same method tim is talking about , it works good. i have also used my tractor to lift the boat while blocking it up.

12. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I guess if you want to fight a boat back on the trailer, you can do it as described above. But if you have a 3-4 foot piece of 4x4 and a bottle jack, you can replace one bunk at a time. Just unscrew the bunk, lift one side of the boat, remove the old bunk, stick the new one on and set 'er back down. Then screw the new bunk to the trailer, and proceed to the other side.

I seriously think some of you fellas have been reading the internet for too long...

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well we do boats around 40,000 at some show and we can have them off the trialer in mintues and on blocks.And they go back on faster then they came off.

14. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    When I repainted my last trailer, I did it like Grumpy's method. But instesd of the tree, I used the rafters in my garage ceiling and I blocked the front of the boat up after pulling the trailer out, just in case.

But I wouldn't go through all that trouble just to replace the bunk boards. I'd just run it down to the lake and leave the boat sit at the ramp while I worked on the trailer in the parking lot.

15. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I need to paint and rewire my trailer,so it will be off for awhile.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bunks... I gathered the material I needed, got it measured and cut, had it like prefabricated. Drove down to the lake, put the boat in, tied it off to a tree, pulled up to the parking lot and took the old bunk off. Changed the hardware t the new board, spread adhesive, put on new carptet, tacked the darn thing, put the bunk back on and did the other...elapsed time was about an hour. Rollers, I just loosened one roller bracket at a time, took out the pin, did my modifications, put the pin back and raised the roller to its former position and tightened.

17. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Couldn't you just hook the trailer to the vehicle , unhook the boat from the trailer and then get in the vehicle, put it in drive and floor it?:)

18. Safety First

Safety First New Member

State:
    Florida
    If you're like me you have tried any number of ways to separate your boat from your trailer to service the trailer or the boat hull. I have used a product by Portable Boat Lift that allows one person to safely separate their boat from their trailer in minutes They're at www.portableboatlift.com
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lou thanks for sharing the idea and link with us. That is the cats meow. Welcome to the USCA, from So. Illinois.

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks Lou. Welcome to the USCA.