Remote trim not working

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by DuckNurse, Jul 18, 2006.

1. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Need some help...my outboard won't trim up when using the remote, only trim down. I can get it to trim up and down using the buttons on the side of the motor itself. But, that isn't very easy or safe when running down the river. Would it be a loose wire, bad fuse??? Any ideas where to look? Surely I'm not the only person this has happened to. The motor is a 90hp Johnson mounted on a 2072 War Eagle if that makes any difference. Thanks!!....

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If it is working properly from the motor, then your relays/solenoids are working. Sounds like a loose wire between the engine and what you're calling the remote.

There are three wires used, one is hot all the time, one is for up and one is for down. Best thing I could suggest is to identify the wires and follow them to see if one of the little plugs has come undone. Last option is always the switch itself. Are you referring to the tilt switch on the throttle handle? Those are usually pretty reliable.

3. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Either a lose or broken wire, could be a dirty contact on switch. Dont be afraid to take the switch apart to inspect it. Many times I have found just looking at something simple like this I can fix it or make it last until I can order a new one. Its more than likely something simple,good luck.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Trim switches go bad and wires get pinched in those handles. Check connections from the trim switch in the handle, I'd suspect the switch.

5. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Yes, those are the words that escaped me earlier!:confused2:

Thanks guys...I'll let you know what I find out...

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Those switches on the throttle handle are notorious for going bad. Take you an ohm meeter and ohm it and see it it is making contact.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The three wires are red, blue, and green, all with with a white tracer stripe in them. Ohm test between the red and blue or green wires as you work the switch.

Red is 12v which transfers to 12v blue for up and 12v green for down as the switch is moved.

How old is this control box/handle?