Remote Control Trolling Motors

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by vlparrish, Jan 23, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    My father is in the market for a new bow mount trolling motor and recently noticed the remote control series offered by several companies. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Vern

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've installed a few minkota salt water series and the folks seemed to like them. They've got a very small control that's easy to work.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    To me it is just more to to quit working or have to work on.
    I know the self docking trolling motors were junk. When it was all said and done you couldnt give one of those things away.

I like the old cable steer foot controls. Atleast when it quit working you could go buy a set of cables and repair it in short order without a big hit to the pocket book and without having to send it somewhere.
    Mr. Murphy is around every corner just waiting to screw your day on the water up. I try not to give him ammunition.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    My son bought a MinnKota with the remote and he likes it a lot. I've run it and once you get used to the remote it is nice. One problem is at night you can't see which way the motor is turned and since your not in contact with the motor you have no idea which way to turn to get straightened out. We thought of taking one of the little 2" night lite sticks that you break to light up and putting in on the front of the motor so you can tell which way it is pointing. They are nice, I don't think I would buy one that wasn't remote controlled and it comes with a foot pedal if you want to do it the old fashioned way.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Have you seen those trim tab mounted trolling motors?
    Those things rock but the price sure doesn't. Look to spend around 1500 bucks for a set of those.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've had a MinnKota riptide saltwater motor with the autopilot and remote for almost 3 years. I don't use it an awful lot, but it works really well, when I do need it. In fact, the foot controller is in my shop, I've only used it once.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I'm going to add the remote to mine. And I also love the Autopiliot Just set the course. and let the trolling motor do all the work when drift fishing in current. Nothing like it.
    Fight the fish rebait or what ever and the boat is on course.
    I will never go back to a standard cable Trolling motor. Also this is the third year for mine.
    Pete

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a Minnkota autopilot with wireless remote no problems so far, and it was a used unit. I can control the trolling motor from any where in the boat which is very nice. And with the auto pilot feature man as pete said you dont have to worry about the boat drifting way off course. It would be hard for me to go back to any other type.

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I have just one more question. What powers the remote unit? Thanks Vern

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Vern, the hand operated remote is powered by a 2032 watch battery...last quite a while, but I always keep a spare in the tackle box.
    The reciever unit is powered by the trolling batteries. I left my motor plugged in recently and it killed the trolling batteries. 1st time that's happened, but I normally unplug the motor when I'm done for the day.

11. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I also have a riptide with remote/auto pilot.Love It:)

12. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Has anyone tried the Motorguide Wireless models or the digital models with the cable? Do either of those models have something like autopilot or an enclosed transducer? I am going to get a Minn Kota or a Motorguide. The Motorguide wireless is cheapest, then the Minn Kota, and then the Motorguide Digital. Is the autopilot feature really worth the added cost? I have to admit, the autopilot and transducer availability have me leaning towards the Minn Kota. By the way, anyone interested in an almost new 46# Motorguide, 42" shaft, bow mount, and foot control (FW 46)? It's either a 2004 or 2005, purchased new with my 2005 boat.

13. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Shilo,
    How is the Autopilot when drifting below the dams in the current seams? Also, what thrust rating do you have on your 2072?
    Thanks

14. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Remote control units can be handy. Especially if you have more than one Fav. By that. If you get into a big fish and are unable to keep tabs on control.... your fishing partner can take over to make sure that you dont drift into trouble.
    Mark has a point about MR. Murphy lurking. But the technology is pretty handy.

15. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I bought a 20' jon with a motocraft remote, but it has never worked for me. I know that sometimes sellers are not truthful, but a couple of local boat shops are not too interested in trying to fix the situation. The boat is about 8 years old. Any suggestions about how to fix it? I am thinking about going with a new system, but hat to scrap the old one. The remote is a box that you put on your belt. Should I contact Motorcraft with some #? HELP!!!!! Hannibal Mike (would I be better off talking to an electric motor repair shop that a boat dealership?)

16. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    ok i have seen them in the cabelas catalog........and read the paragraph over and over, but what in the world is the auto pilot? I just dont get it, it cannot be what im think it is. is it just remote? please someone explain.........

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have the 65lb on my boat. And it will pull me up river in the boils. It does good in the seams. but will hunt some.
    That is what I use the 1754 WAr-Eagle for run the 4-stroke motor and let her run. Makes it a lot better to fish below the dam.
    Pete

18. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks Shilo. I was supposed to pick up my boat today and couldn't wait to try it out. Just found out delivery delayed until next week!! I haven't got the MK AP yet. Boat/motor weighs ~2100#'s empty and probably close to 3000#'s loaded and 2 people. Is that anywhere near your weight with the 65# MK?

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    My hull weight is 1150 lbs then the 140 suzuki 4-stroke weight I don't know off hand. 3 group 29 batterys, 18 gallons gas,100 lbs or so of tackle under the front deck. 6ft bench seat full of junk. 25 lb anchor in back 20 lb anchor in front.\
    Never have checked the weight.
    but its heavy.

Good luck and what boat are you getting?
    Pete

20. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Pete,

Were not that far off in total weight I might be 200#'s more. I'm getting a Triton DeepV 186 DC with a Yamaha 200 HPDI. I wanted a 150 motor, but the the great deal I got on this one was less money. The boat is 2005 and the motor is a 2004, but both are new. Even got an extended 3 yr. warranty on the motor free. Moved up from a Pro Crappie 175. Grandma laid the law down about boat size, gunwale heigth, and stability for her and the grandkids!!! I'm not dissapppointed though for I have fished out of a Lund before and it was fine.

I went below Wilson Dam 3 weeks ago today and drifted shad. My son and I caught 1 5.6# SM, 1 8.5# Stripper and 2 over 10.5# hybrids. We also caught 3-4 Channels that were in the 3-4# range. Water temps were in mid 40's. Kinda warm for January! It should only get better.

Charlie