Remote control boat for fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i am thinking about acquiring a remote control boat to take my bait out where i want it. i have heard of folks making one with a trolling motor and battery. i want one that has good range and power. anyone ever do this?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Phil,I aint got a clue how,But I dont think it'd be much of a problem to solve ,If I was inclined to make one. I see em from time to time below Eufala dam. I bet you could just sit down an conjure up a nice one knowing your mechanical abilities.:cool2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Phil I don't have a clue but I'm also interested in the right answer. I have seen them used on tv and they seem to do a good job.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I know they sell em ready to use. There called bait shuttles:wink:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Phil. Do ya want somebody to tie your shoes to?

For Gods Sake. Fishing is the art not the mechanics. Tangle those lines, snag those trees, drown trying to get to a good drop. Ya gotta go and get 21 Century.

What a whuss. Next you will want someone to bait your hook to. Better talk your wife into going with you to wipe your nose.

LOL.

John.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
  7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    John, had to let the better half read that one - she said tell you i bait her hook and i have to wipe my nose on my own sleeve:smile2:

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I bank fish . I got to carry bait, chairs, tackle, rods, food, drink and a number of misc. things. I ever trip an fall going down the trail with all that. it will take 3 folks with knifes , pliers, bolt cutters and a medic to get me un tangled. Then I gather up a little fire wood for when night settles in.
    I aint got many arms left to carry a bait boat and battery. guess if you come up with a lite weight one. I could duct tape it to my head till I get to my spot.
    Maybe you could use a skeet thrower to sling that bait out there.

On second thought, I think I'll stick with worms.

9. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    About ten years ago I went thru the same "I wonder if there is a way to" and I did it.

I bought a remote control boat called a Wildcat express, which was a catamaran type about 24" long. It was just the basic boat kit that anyone could put together in a couple hours. No radio controls - servos - battery ect.

The reason I bought it this way is because RC boats and cars that come complete with everything operate on 2 channels. Forward-reverse and right-left.

Here is where "done that and it needs to be different" comes in. On the boat, your bait rig becomes a JERK IT OFF the back of the boat when you finally get it to where you want it. I did it this way and got really agravated when the current would pull it off which was not uncommon. There has to be another way. I need another control to hold my bait until I want to drop it. I need another servo and boats only have two. Planes have more channels. I bought a Sky sport 4 channel remote and acc.

I also put in an infinite speed control because the standard ones are only two or three step. I built a smal boom with fingers operated by the 3rd channel servo. Now, the fingers are closed and holding the bait until I signal it to drop. Works great. Got tired of it.

In all, I probably have $400 tied up in that brain fart but I had a good time for a while. There is one on the market now (remember it is 2 channel) and I think it is less than $100 complete. I said all that stuff preparing you for "you will get tired of it" so what's it worth to you.

Batteries are expensive and they don't last all day More like 15 min. of run time, so you need a couple spares till you can recharge.

I'm done "Raining on your parade" but sometimes it is nice to hear the downside of your current "I can't live another minuite without it". I enjoyed it a lot and would probably be sorry if I didn't try it but I'm off to something else.

If you do get one - enjoy

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
  11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    tie a balloon to a livesaver candy(the winterwresh kind). put your line through the hole of the candy and tie on your rig and bait it. then cast it out and let the wind take it to where you want it. it will take 5 minutes for the candy to dissolve. just stand upwind of where you wanna get to.

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Robb.....i am a poor white boy....

i ain't spending 800+ usa bucks for something i can make for $150 :wink:

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    good advice, Shane, but it doesn't work when you're going against the wind and the current:big_smile:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Phil,After pondering on your question,I seem to remember a fellow having a small styrofoam pontoon style boat. He had a switch rigged to it somehow and it was attached to a short stiff rod with a large Penn and very heavy line. after getting it out where he wanted it,shut it down ,and reel it back in. this might be something thats close to what you're thinkin about

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's what I've seen, and what I've been told by the local hobby shop. A large block of styrofoam sawn into a boat shape: About 3'-4' long, a couple of feet wide, the front cut into a V shape like a boat. A 12v battery mounted in the middle for stability and strapped into place. A 17# thrust TM mounted toward the rear, but not all the way back; fixed into place so it can't turn; pointed so the thrust is straight forward. Behind the TM a rudder that's attached to a RC unit. Takes less power to turn the rudder than to turn the TM itself. A 2-channel RC unit will allow you to turn the rudder left and right, and nothing else. You'll need 2 more channels for each additional task you want your boat to be able to do. For instance, if you want a hopper to dump your bait and sinker when you press the button, you'll need 2 more channels, one to move the hopper to the dump position, and the second channel to move the hopper back to the carry position. The more channels, the more expensive the RC unit is. I've heard of some people attaching a safety line to the boat, but have not actually seen it done. Reportedly, a large reel was attached to a piece of broomstick with a single eye so that line could pay out as the boat went away, then the line reeled up as the boat came back. Required one guy to operate the boat and another to handle the reel with the safety line. But it seems to me that you could save on battery use if you left the reel in freespool on the way out, then cut power to the TM (2 more channels) and pull the boat back with the safety rod & reel.
    You really need to check with the BOC members who actually have and use these baitboats, though.

16. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I have to dissagree with the hobby shop on this one about the number of channels. 1 channel operates 1 servo. A servo will operate 1 function. A servo will turn a rudder either left or right, depending on which way the remote control lever is pushed. Push the lever to the right and the rudder goes right, release the lever and the rudder returns to center, push the lever to the left and the rudder goes to the left. 1 function. Same with speed. Push the speed control forward and the motor goes forward. push the lever backward and the motor goes back. Release the lever and the motor stops. 1 function. So far we have used 2 functions, 1 for power and one for steering. Another channel is needed for the bait release device. So we have now used 3 functions, or channels. A 4th channel can be used for another function but you do not need to use them all.
    Another point that hasn't been disgused is lights. At dusk or after dark you cannot tell where the boat is or which direction it is going. I used 3 superbright LEDs. A white one on the end of the boom (rear) a red one on the bow port, and a green one on the bow starboard.
    Instead of the standard R/C batteries, I used the powerpack batteries out of a Makita drill. They last a whole lot longer.

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use to fish Keystone south side a lot, the boat problem got out of control. I have been down there on a number of occasions and had my line cut numerous times. People dont care, either they figure they will run you out or you will get tired of tieing on rigs and leave.

I had a cure for them. One guy cut my line 3 times, and I know 2 of them were on purpose. The 4th time I tied on, I changed reels also. I had spider wire on my heavy duty pole, and I used an 8 oz sinker to hang it up. Sure enough he made the 4th pass right over my line. The propellars caught the spider wire and the open bail let it wrap up about 30 feet of line. I made one tug and the propeller had chewed up the line so bad, it broke easily. After that I called it quits to watch the fun. He spent the "rest of his fishing time" trying to get his boat back, I dont know if he did or not, I left prior to that.

If you are going to use a boat, be considerate of people fishing around you. They have the same right as you to fish the water. If you fish spillways you will hang up people.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Russell, I think there's a problem with terminology here. Probably my fault. Unless a 'channel' is split into two 'sub-channels', it can't serve two purposes. I mean, if you move the steering control to the left, it sends out a signal that causes the steering to turn to the left; when you turn the control to the right, it sends out a signal to turn to the right. There's no way these two signals can be identical. So, it sounds to me that what you're calling a 'channel' sends out two signals, which would control both left & right; what I was calling a 'channel' only sent out one, which would control either left or right, but not both. Sorry if I used incorrect terminology that caused confusion.

19. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Phil...let's keep it simple here....:eek:oooh: send Baitboat a pm he has one in the garage...knows how to build them:wink: It works nicely..we use it at the lock&dams to get the bait in the locks..been doing it for years:wink:

20. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    You need one channel per servo. One servo will operate clockwise or counter clockwise on one channel. The number of functions you need is the number of channels you need. Steering - 1 channel, Motor - 1 channel, Hopper - 1 channel. A 3 channel remote will operate 3 servos in both directions.