Remington (auto) vs 700

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by fishnfool68, Feb 4, 2007.

1. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'm looking at buying my first rifle.Right now I only have an old shotgun.I going to get a 30-06,but I'm trying to decide which one to get.The auto,or the bolt.I was hoping some of you who have both,or have shot both would give me an opinion.I'm looking at the 7400,or the woodsman series of auto loaders.The 700 would be my choice if I go with the bolt.I've asked the folks I know that have both and most have said its more of a personal prefrence ,that both are accurate guns.Your responses are apreciated!

2. barefootarkie

barefootarkie New Member

State:
    central Ar

700's are great rifles, but don't overlook the Savage rifles with accutrigger and free floated barrel. I can't give any input on the auto rifle. Jimmy

3. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mike, my personal favorite is the bolt, if the gun is sighted in and accurate, your first shot will be the ONLY shot. What are you planning on hunting with it? You probably wont be taking any shots at running animals anyway, will you? This is just my opinion:big_smile:.

4. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would say the same, don't overlook the Savage, they are a good out of the box rifle. I have 2 of them and I like em alot!

5. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Hey BOC Brother -

I have a remington 30/06 7600 Pump Action rifle. The reason I purchased this one over a auto or a bolt is that it is exactly the same movment as my shotguns. Meaning that for me its just a instinctive reaction when shooting. Ive had this one for about 15 years and it just dropped a 150lb doe last season. Very good rifle and Ive never had aproblem with it.

6. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Both guns are nice shooters. My family owns both of them and they are used every year, The semi auto is nice because of the decreased recoil and the fact that it is slightly lighter. My choice is the semi auto, over the 700 just for the fact that is kickes less. But like you said it is a personal preforance.

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've had both, but I prefer my 740 Rem. 30.06. semi automatic Later Andy

8. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I had mostly bolt guns over the years but have a 742 auto-loader in 6MM that I have been playing with here of late.
    Kind of depends on what you are going to do with it, accurate long range shots or shots taken closer with a quick second or third shot if needed.

9. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'm for the less recoil,I'm a whimp.I would like to have one rifle to deer,bear,hog and elk hunt with.My shot gun is bolt action,so I know how quick I can get a scecond shot off with one.Most of the time you don't get a second shot on a deer,however I've missed before and watched the deer just look and stair.I know that a missed shot on a big hog/bear can be dangerous.I know guys that have been sent up a tree by another hog in the group that spotted them after they shot.I would like to have the ability to get a acurate shot off quickly.In lowering the gun to cock,and raising it,I would be more apt to miss with the second shot,I'm no speed shooter.And I've never been as comfortable with pumps.I've heard however,that the auto isn't as acurate as the bolt.I'm thankful for all the info so far brothers:smile2:

10. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Both guns are accurate in the hands of a skilled shooter, I have seen both guns take deer from long ranges 300+. The accuracy is more in the hands of the shooter than it is on the gun.

11. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    really depends on what you want to do with it. 100 yards or less at whitetails either will work fine. with adequate practice the bolt action will be almost as quick as an autoloader and by its very design the bolt is inherently more accurate. look for something using a mauser style action or its most well known offspring the winchester model 70. as long as its been properly cared for an old model 70 will surpass in both accuracy and quality anything off the shelf today.

my personal opinion aside from the obvious mechanical reasons for a bolt being more accurate than an auto is primarily the fact with a bolt you are forced to regain your sight picture. with practice this can be done in conjunction with racking the bolt. with an auto if your first shot is a miss, or you think its a miss, the tendedcy to just pull the trigger again without being sure of your exact sight picture is too high. im not suggesting that youll just blindly pull the trigger,,, but you wont pay as much attention to your sight picture as you will with a bolt. (this is exactly why our military M-16's went from full auto mode to semi and a three shot burst) i cant give you an exact figure but i can tell you i have far more one shot kills with a bolt than i do an auto and as far as follow up shots are concerned with a bolt ive never had to fire a third time. even at a running deer or hog. i cant say the same for a semi.

12. bigun12

bigun12 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My first "deer" rifle was a Remington 742 auto in 30-06. Kept that rifle for 30 years and it never failed me even one time. I wore the thing completely out but, having said that, one of the things you learn, (you are wise to ask the question you did so as to learn from what others have experienced) is that you will rarley, I never did, find the circumstance where having that autoloader is the differience in getting the game or not.

I currently own several rifles and every one is a bolt save one and it is a single shot.

I also agree with whoever said that you should check out the Savage line as, in my humble opinion, they are the most accurate out of the box rifles you can buy today. http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm

If you want something just a little more up scale (not much price wise) I would also suggest taking a close look at a CZ 550 American. http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=18

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've had both. For general hunting I like the bolt action. Most of the time you only have one shot anyway. There isn't a big difference in kick and that is more a product of bullet weight not action. I think bolts are more accurate and a little safer.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm a fan, too.

I've had two...the first was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. Honest inch and a quarter groups with factory ammo.

I currently have an old 760 with the barrel shortened to 17". It's about a two incher...plenty accurate for the woods.

I like these guns because they can be loaded/unloaded quickly and safely. Makes a great "truck gun", for that reason.

15. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Mike, you've gotten a lot of info so far, so I will through my 2 cents in. I own three 30.06 rifles. A browning (auto), a Remington (auto) and a Remington (bolt). They are all good rifles, but a perfer the Remington bolt, and for the following reasons. As someone mention earlier, most shots, are one shot kills. (Ball placement is everything, when it comes to hunting). The Bolt action rifles, are positive action wapons, (they do not rely on gas to operate). They are much easier to clean and maintain. The 30.06 rifle is the best all around rifle you can ever own for hunting game in North America. The bolt action can be chamber with a 125 grain ball, up to I believe 240 or 260gr. There for, you can use the gun for shooting varmits, or for that matter a moose. Most semi-auto 30.06 wapons have to have at least 165gr. bullet to operate properly. My Browning (auto) has to have a 170gr ball to generate enough gas to operate.
    All of this is just food for thought. As someone mentioned earlier, it is all a matter of personal preference. You mentioned, you use a bolt action shot gun. So, you know how to operate it.
    Here is just a little more food for thought. No matter what kind of rifle you choose, make sure when you scope it out, you spend as much money if not more on the scope than you do the rifle. The optics are one of the most important pcs. of equipment in your gun cabinet.
    Sparky

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    A bolt action will be your best bet. The accuracy improvement from an auto loaded to a bolt action is significant.

Remingtons are great rifles, but you will get more gun for your money in a Savage. The Savage rifles are the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever fired.

17. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Also, my 7400 30-06 doesn't like round nose bullets. It cost me a big buck one year because I was using round nose bullets and when I put a round in the chamber I did not check to see that the handle was seated fully. The gun won't fire like this. Switched to the kind with a sharp point and never had another problem. No big deal as long as you check to make sure the bolt is all the way home. I learned the hard way.

18. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Have both, like both. Bolt usually be more accurate. On the other hand unless you are planning on 300+ plus shots, My 742 has put meat in the freezer out to 250 with no problem.

The biggest thing is buy a couple boxes for practice what ever you get.

19. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I weighed the opinions from all of you,and did some handleing and gun pointing(towards the ceiling of course) in a few sporting goods stores.From the expert opinions I've recieved I decided on the bolt action.Then I had to choose between the Remington or the Savage.Both seem to be the favorite,and loved by anyone who owned them.It came down to what felt comfortable to me when I handled the rifle and worked the bolt.I brought home a Remington 700 SPS 30-06 tonight.:big_smile: The 700 just felt better to me.It was so exciting to purchase a new gun for the first time,I'm all smiles.Thanks to all of you for your input,I'm thankful to have the BOC members in my life.

20. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I don't know exactly what caliber you are looking for, but the 7400 Autoloader is only available in 30-06 and 270 calibers. I have a 7400 in a 30-06, and I killed one of the biggest bucks of my life with it. It is an accurate gun for an auto. I know from experience, it will outshoot a browning bar. If you want a magnum caliber, or more variety, especially with the new short mags, I would go with a 700. These are probably the best shooting guns on the market out of the box. Almost all the sniper rifles for the military and police are built on a model 700 frame. The only drawback is what you will spend on one, is about what you can buy a savage with a nice scope for. I have a savage in .300 Win Mag and it shoots just as good as my model 700 in .30-06. Back to the 7400, there are alot of good used guns out there. I bought mine last year for $100, with a bushnell scope on it. I couldn't pass it up. It's already paid for itself.