Remington 870 scopes/mounting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by atvracer, Oct 24, 2009.

1. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    I have a 12ga 870 with a one-side mounted 2.5x20 scope. I can get decent groups up to around 75 yards but would like to be more accurate with longer shots, I don't have much faith in a 100 yard shot. I have a fully rifled barrel, but never can be smart enough to find the right sabots(or keep using the same kind). Anyone have recommendations on a better setup or slugs? I also use this gun for hunting other game, so I take the slug barrel off at the end of deer season. I have other guns to use but like the 870 so much. Thanks.

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    well to be honest we use rifles on deer where I'm at,but the basics are the same. go buy several different types of slug ammo,then take you some paper and hit the range,see what your gun will shoot at 50 yards with different ammo,then take the best couple types and move out to 75 and 100 yard ranges. sabot loads may not be the best for your gun,try some hollow point "punkin balls" and others,the sabots are for speed,and in my opinion are a waste of time on a shotgun,I'd rather it hit home where I want it than get there 1/1000th of a second faster and miss the vitals. I don't care what your shooting,you need to practice and find out exactly what your gun likes and its practical limits.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    We are shotgun only where I hunt too. Sabots are used because they are more accurate in fully rifled barrels, not for speed.

As was mentioned, buy a bunch of different slugs and see what shoots best. This is true of any firearm. You have to put the time in if you expect it to be accurate at long range (over 100yds is long range for a shotgun IMHO). I know a lot of people that sight their shotguns in at 100yds and will take shots out farther than that, but they've put in the time to get their setup right. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "one-side mounted" scope, but a cantilever barrel is the most accurate for long distance slug shooting.

As for slug recommendations, I hear good things about Remington Copper Solids, Hornady SST, and Lightfields, but there are other good brands out there.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have had great success in accuracy beyond normal 12 gauge ranges and in real world kills with Federal/Barnes tipped Expanders. They are available in 2-3/4" (P151 XT1) and 3" (P152 XT1), both are 3/4 oz slugs.
    Shooting the P152 XT1 3" out of my Mossberg 935/1.5-5x32 scope zero'd at 100 yds, I have about 1.5" rise at 50 yds, about 2" drop at 125yds.
    I hear that the Hornady SST's are supposed to be even better, but have yet to actually try them.

5. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My setup is an 870 12ga with fully rifled barrel. The barrel I have on is a cantilever scope mount, so the scope is not attached to the reciever at all. The barrel and scope come off together, making it a snap to change barrels. I have very tight groups at 75 yds, 3 in or less and have hit a 2 liter pop bottle at 200 yrds several times using Remington Copper Soilds, 2 3/4 in. I would highly recommed this setup. By the way, I have been using this setup for almost 15 yrs and its always right on when I go to the range pre-season.

6. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have killed many a deer with my 870. I purchased the combo package. The slug barrel is a smooth bore and I have the scope mount that mounts by pushing the two trigger pins out and replacing them with two screws. I have actual shot thousands of rounds through this set up. The best rounds I have found that work for me is remington 2 3/4 sluggers weighted at 1 oz. I get 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds which I do not think is two bad for a smooth bore.

7. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    My gun's scope is also mounted like billnpam mentioned. Maybe I should go ahead and buy a cantilever barrel. Will do some sabot shopping next week at Gander and Dick's.

8. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Something else I forgot to mention is that if your thinking about buying a new scope, be sure to get one thats made for a shotgun. A buddy of mine had one made for a rifle and it couldn't handle the extra shock a shotgun gives it verses a rifle, and overtime it loosened the insides of the scope and he lost his accuracy. If your planning on re-mounting the one you have and its a rifle scope, I wouldn't worry about it and use the one you have and just keep it in mind for the future.