Remington 870 question? Plus one more.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Hopper, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Hopper

Hopper New Member

State:
    NC
    I am going to buy a Remington 870 12 guage. What would be the most versatile model as far as barrel length, etc?

Also, can you suggest a good 12 guage single shot. I have just always wanted one.

Thanks for any information.

2. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like a 28'' vent rib barrel.

3. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    you can buy a combo and get the vent rib and rifled slug barrel.28 inch vent rib is probaly the best

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ditto on the 28" barrel, unless you're going to be shooting at quail or maybe ducks in thick swamps an awful lot. The 28" with screw-in chokes is the best all-round. I've got an 870 express that I've had for a number of years now, and I think I like it more every time I use it (I've always preferred pumps to autos, personally). It's a tough, reliable gun that has never let me down, no matter what conditions, or how dirty it was.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    IMHO, go with the 28" vent rib barrel, if you decide to use slugs, go with the Brennekes.

I have a rifled barrel for my Mossberg 835 but rather than changing it back & forth, I just use the rifled slugs in the smooth barrel. The end result is the same, what I shoot is DEAD:big_smile:

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Can't go wrong with the 870, but don't do like me. Get the combo. The short barrel is good for home, even if ya don't slug hunt. Hard to swing the 28" in the hallway, and less handy in the truck. Get the smoothbore combo. (saves about half the cost of just the barrel) I'd second hand shop for the single shot.

7. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    There are 2 basic Remington 870 shotguns. The 870 Express is the cheeper of the two. The 870 Wingmaster is the best and the one I suggest. Most of the older Wingmaster's were hand fitted. None of the Express' were hand fitted. When I say hand fitted I Mean the parts were machined then either hand filed or lapped to fit by hand.

Most of the Express models were fitted with just plain wood while the Wingmasters are fitted with American Black Walnut.

There is a lot more work put into a Wingmaster than there is an Express. So if ya want a gun that you would be proud to pass along to your grandkid get the Wingmaster.

Go to your local gun shop and have them set the two of them side by side and look at the differance. If you wait until about Feburary you will get a better deal on used guns. The hunting season will be over then.

Jesse

8. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Jessee is right if you want to spend a couple hundred more bucks. I have both. The wingmaster looks better and has a smoother action but I have taken the express more often over the last ten years because it loves abuse and seems to shoot better the more it gets.

9. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    So what's the value of a wingmaster these days? I have on that I'm looking to part with.

It's a "good condition" magnum receiver with a 30" FIXED full choke. I also have a 28" mod barrel for 2 3/4".

/Scott

10. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    as for single shots Harrington & Richardson makes great single shots

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hopper, Welcome to BOC.

I've owned a 870 Wingmaster 12 Ga, 28" modified with ventilated rib barrel and recoil pad for about 40 years. I think my wife gave around $88 new, it was for my birthday. It's been a great gun for Blues, Pheasants and some Bobwhites. I reloaded for several years so it's also fired many a shell while shooting clays.

Also have a 1100 equipped just like the 870 other than no recoil pad for it's not needed on the auto. I used to think there was none better than the 870 Wingmaster until I got the 1100. :smile2:

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hmmmph. :smile2: I had one of those 1100's back in the late 70's, I think it was. Shot great, but kept hanging up with the magnum shells that I used for deer hunting in the swamp, caused me to miss a really nice buck. I traded it in the next day for a Browning pump. That's the only auto I've ever owned, personally. I have a Benelli auto for the grandson, and it shoots great, but he got a little miffed last year when my 870 express outshot his benelli at a turkey shoot. :wink:
    I've given the 870 a rough time, but it has never failed me. An ugly sister to the Wingmaster, but tough as nails, and just gets smoother with age.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tommy, that is strange about the your 1100. Never had a problem with mine. But I've never deer hunted in the swamps.. maybe the shells?

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, Dayton, it was a combination of the Winchester magnum shells with a buffer compound, some sort of tiny plastic stuff to keep the buckshot from deforming or something. Anyway, the magazine follower was plastic also, and the buffer caused to to hang up and not feed properly. It shot just fine with standard ammo, and I think remington went to a metal follower later, at least someone told me they did. I grew up shooting a pump, and I guess it's just what I'm used to and have confidence in. When we used to shoot clay targets on our hunting club as a fund-raiser, the pump would pretty much hold it's own against the auto on doubles or triples. :big_smile:

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tommy, I'm like you, I grew up with a pump... Winchester Model 97 12 GA. It was the first gun I learn to shoot. I had to lay down to keep it from knocking me down. You know it was the one with the exposed hammer. My brother has it now, wish I had got it.