remington 597

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by scooter079, Oct 17, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just recently purchased a remington 597 and was wondering if there is any good upgrades for these things that are worth messing with i love the gun as is but making something better is always worth trying

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would personally take the gun apart and clean it well, then put it back together. See how it runs for you before messing with it a lot. These guns are very accurate right out of the box. Make sure when you put the bolt guide rods in, you DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the guide rod retaining screws. 10 inch pounds is all it takes, more will cause the guide rods to bow out ever so slightly and cause malfunctions. A volquartsen extractor might be a good investment if you have extraction problems like some have. A lot of people have put paintball gun trigger shoes on the trigger, it gives you a wider pad, which makes the impression of a lighter trigger pull. Some people have drilled a hole in the trigger guard and added a set screw to take away the overtravel in the trigger. If you wanna accessorize it like a ruger 10/22 you are kinda outta luck. Its a good gun, but not as popular with the aftermarket (volquartsen is your best bet here). Also, did you buy the gun new, or used? If used, make sure you have the latest generation of magazine for your 597. They had a lot of problems with the first 2 generations, but the 3rd gen magazine they finally got right. And finally, as with any rifle, try a ton of different ammunition brands to see what your gun likes best. Once you find a brand it likes, stick with that brand for your best accuracy. I really like my 597

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i traded a marlin 22 mag for a 17 hmr 597 they are a great gun... never have thought of doing any up grades for it. it kill coons just the way it is... i would though like to have a clip that holds about 30 rounds or so so i don't have to switch them out all the time:cool2:

4. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats one good thing about the 22 is that you can buy 30rd remington clips for it but i do wish it was a 17 for the power

5. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I just bought a slightly used one. I always have used Remington .22's but they would hang up in the clips and in gun, went to Federal shells from wally world and it feeds and shoots great. 30 round clips are on their way!