remington 1100 help

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by OkieBo, Jan 21, 2009.

1. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My 1100 automatic will not chamber a new round after a shot is taken. I can manualy chamber new round tho. Any ideas?

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    you might try diffrent shells or clean the gun real good.had that problem with one gun and it was the cheap shells

3. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    there is an o ring located in the forearm on the gas tube. if it is cracked or hardened it will not function correctly

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Has to be a gas problem,The O rings are not allowing the gas to cycle the rounds ,That could be due to a dirty system too. try cleaning the gas piston on the magazine tube good ,and lube with a teflon type spray

5. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks I will look into both ideas. The shells I last shot were cheap. That's what I thought was wrong. The o ring could be bad as well. It is an older 1100 that I recently traded for.

6. Lawrence Bridges

Lawrence Bridges New Member

State:
    sc
    sounds like powder is too weak to eject properly

7. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Is replacing the o ring something i could do? I have no gunsmith experience. Or should i leav it to the pros?

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yes you can do it just screw the cap off remove forearm and barrel there will be a couple of rings and the o-ring just slide it off i would replace them all they dont cost very much

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The 1100 is one of the best semi autos ever made. Enjoy your (New) gun. Like said before, slip off the forearm, slip out the barrel, and the O Ring is rubber and sits inside or on the edge of two metal rings on the magazine tube. If I remember right it slides off the magazine tube. A whopping five minute, five dollar repair.

Brownell's sells remington parts. 1 (800) 741-0015.
    (Barrel Seal 12 gauge ) Brownells stock # 767-158-990 $5.43.

Also worth repeating. Get a spray can of gunscrubber and take the gun outside and hold upside down with the action open and spray the action out real good., and then down through the trigger assembly. Let it dry, then give it a shot of remoil spray and that sweet 1100 is good to go for another 50 years.

Good luck.

10. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
  11. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    those are promblems but one thing to remember is to wipe all excess oil or lube off no joke here it will !!!!!!!! KNOCK your d string loose i know from experiance

12. prudog

prudog New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If you don't know how to change the o-ring, then you do not know how to properly clean your gun. With the big nut removed, the barrel slides off. There should be 3 pieces visible on the magazine tube after you remove the barrel. These parts will be housed in the gas port housing (that big chunk of metal) attached to the barrel, but will remain when you remove the barrel. Those three parts are the o-ring and two washer looking pieces. Those two pieces must be oriented so that they fit together on the bevels. It is possible to assemble the gas components improperly (backwards) and it will not feed. As I recall, the o-ring will seat against the flat side, not the tapered side. The o-ring goes on last, just prior to replacing the barrel assembly. If the o-ring is nicked or broken, it allows gas to escape rather than be directed back to the feed mechanism.

Google is your friend. Lots of pictures if you work at it. Remington probably has manual available. Numrich has lots of drawings.

I have fired LOTS of cheap ammo through my 1979 LT-20 and never had many problems. I recently bought a 12 gauge that will not handle the extreme velocity (1550 fps) ammo just under magnum rating. The gun hangs with chamber open. I think my LT-20 did that when I abused with super magnum. :crazy: I can't believe how many thousands of rounds my 1100 has handled flawlessly considering how much I abused it as a kid. Remington 1100 is one of the best guns ever made!

13. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thank you all for the prompt info i will check it this weekend.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Check to make sure your gas ports in your barrel is not stopped up also. They are tiny holes located in the big chunk of metal on the bottom of the barrel right under the barrel.