Remembering your youth..best friends

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rebelzgrl76, Nov 21, 2006.

1. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Read this in a local newspaper article, I just had to share, as I fall into the catagory.

Spending time at Wayne Academy's football games is part of my job, but I didn't realize how bitter sweet it would be.
    Being around the WA students helps me remember all the reasons why I am glad I am out of school. It also makes me remember all the things I miss about high school..
    When did we ever have friends like we had in high school and college? I had a core group of friends that lasted from high school into college. We had known each other for a long time, and while other people came and went in our lives, we were always there for each other. These were the kind of friends you could call on for anything..
    One night we were all packed into one SUV on our way to Hattiesburg to see a movie when we passed the sign for the Mississippi Gulf Coast. .
    Someone, I don't remember who, threw out the suggestion, "Hey, why don't we go to the coast and watch the sunset?".
    Well, we were all either living in the dorms or our own apartments, so there were no parents to say no, and we thought "Why not?".
    We stopped at a Wal-Mart along the way and bought swimsuits and inner-tubes. We floated far out into the water, and watched the sun set over the Gulf of Mexico. It looked like the sun just sank into the water. It started raining as we paddled back to shore, but nothing could dampen our feelings of youth, invincibility and above all friendship. .
    Now, I don't have friends like that, friends that will do anything with you or for you. I willingly take the blame for losing touch with my friends..
    I am the first to admit that I was not a good friend after I got married. Then, when my daughter was born, it got worse. It became harder and harder to make time for my old friends in my new life. .
    They would call and want to get together, but more often that not I could not find the time. Eventually, the calls came less and less frequently. Then when they began to get married and start lives of their own, they too drifted away from the group..
    One person I lost contact with was friend that I have had since pre-school. You hear people say, "We've been friends for as long as we can remember." She and I were not friends like that. We were friends since before we could remember. There are pictures of us playing when we were just toddlers. I say I have a friend because I truly believe that 20 years of friendship can not be undone by three years of neglect..
    Now, my husband is my best friend, and that is how I think it should be. I am growing closer to my brothers. They have finally begun to look at me as a person instead of just their little sister. I am starting to find friends that are also married with children, and I am grateful for those friendships. .
    I just have to wonder, what was it about high school and college that allow for such deep and intense friendships? Everyone has that best friend from high school that they never talk to anymore. If we were to all find that person and go out to lunch I think that we would find that our old friends are new people..
    Everyone grows and changes, and therefore our friendships must change. We enter new phases of our lives, and it is hard to fit our old friends into our new lives. .
    Now, my family and my career are the focus of my life. I do miss the carefree days of my youth, and most of all, my friends from that time. But, I love my life now and I thank God that I have made it this far. .

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Amy, makes me think about the 50th High School Class Reunion I attended in 2003. I didn't graduate for we moved to another state but I was invited to attend for I had went through the first 8 grades with most of them. The friendship was still there even after not seeing any of them in 54 years.

3. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Amy...reading your post reminded me of this poem...its one of my favorites so I thought I would share... Tracey

People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When you figure out which it is, you will know exactly what to do.

0ooo
    Some people ( )
    come into our lives ) /
    and quickly go.. ( _ /

ooo0
    ( ) Some people
    \ ( become friends
    \ _) and stay awhile...

leaving beautiful 0ooo
    footprints on our ( )
    hearts... ) /
    ( _/

ooo0
    ( ) and we are
    \ ( never quite the same
    \_ )

because we have made a good friend!!!

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend, and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up or out and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.

When people come into your life for a SEASON, it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons; those things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person or people involved; and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships, and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.