Remembering the Good Old Days.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do you remember the Single Moon, or Double Moon out houses? Some were stocked with Sears/Robeck catalogs. Others were less fornuate and only had corn cobbs. How far back do you go in the Good Old Days?

2. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Mickey
    Mostly I remember the spiders, and the smell, and how you really had to go bad when it was blizzarding and below zero here in Nebraska. Had a couple of buddys lived in a two story farm house, their mother could never figure out how come the second story window screens were so much more rusty. Luck

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I remember one time as a kid a bunch of us boys got together and thought it would be neat to take a horse and tie a rope around outhouse and pull it backwards!!! Well it was neat till we got beat within a inch of our lives and then were sent over to dig a new pit for our unsuspecting neighbor. His wife did tell us boys that she never heard such screaming and cussing in her life!!

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My Pappy used to tell about keeping the outhouse stocked with red cobs and white cobs. You used a red one first, then checked the job with a white one. Sometimes you had to go back to the red one...:smile2:

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm old enough to remember we had a chamber pot for the winter time.
    It was one of my first chores as a kid, and life never really got any better far as I can tell. I still get the ugly chores.

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sure do recall all those adventures to Grandmothers farm. Seems like it was a never ending battle for posession of the out house with the wasps.
    Course Grandad said the were mud daubers and wouldn't bother ya if ya didn't bother them..

I think thats when I developed my comfot zone with going to the Bushes.. Stayed with me to this day.. Hate to admitt it but I think I can still "manage" anywhere thanks to them wasps.... :smile2:

7. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I had a out house till I was 17 year old.Hot in the summer and cold in the winter.Mom got lock in and we didn't miss her for about 1 1/2 hours in the winter time and it was snowing. she was hot, real hot.she did watch the latch from then on.

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Man I still gag thinkin about that ole outhouse. I really hated it when Sears went to the slick pages in their catalogs.LOL Dad made the mistake of leaving a hammer where I could find it when I was about 5 years old. I tore that outhouse down to the ground while he went to Memphis. I can still feel that one.

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    We had a three hole,two big one small. I remember dropping the flashlight down a hole . Dad bought me a square one so it would not roll in. When you got to the harness section it was time for a new catalog.We got a running water and a bathroom in the early 50s.

10. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i'm only 36 but i can remember the out hous it's still in the same place. My dad was into the wild things and he wallpapered the inside walls with a verticle striped wall paper. We called the night time can a pee can and my grandma took care of it in the morning I guess we didnt have a bathroom until i was 3rd grade but we were and still are poor dirt farmers. But we still have a outhouse that will never be torn down to many memories that children now adays will never be able to experiance.:smile2:

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i can remember the old one seater at grand parents house they didnt get indooor facilities till late 60's and then the outhouse was still used .
    but i never remember haveing to use anything but tp course my mom might have brought that with us on our trip and left a few rolls in there . i thought the catalog was for reading:smile2:.

a funny outhouse story involved some neighbors of ours when we lived near mountain home arkansas . these neighbors had a couple daughters and one of them had a birthday party and a few of their classmates came from town
    and they had the old outhouse in the backyard up near the treeline.
    ( this is near bull shoals lake of the beaten path ).
    one of the boys went to use it and was greeted by a bobcat or mountain lion
    that happened to crawl up in the rafters that evening.
    they said he left shortly after that .guess he didnt need to use it after the
    excitement .:wink:

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We had a "One Holer". I remember the day WPA built it in the early forty's. We had to supply some of the materials, they supplied plenty labor.
    Even had a concrete floor and suction vents from each side, pretty fancy inside! And didn't smell bad either.
    We also had to supply the Sears and Monkey Ward catalogs. :wink:

Just happen to have a 1948 picture that shows one side and back... how about that. :crazy:

Also in the background, the 2 room house I was born in and lived my first 14 years.

Also my folks used one until while I was in the service. My wife's folks were still using one when we married.

Attached Files:

13. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is a very funny thread and now I can honestly say, the BOC has every conversation topic possible.

Well we never actually had an outhouse, but I remember several of our friends and family had out houses when I was younger. We used to come out to Iowa from Illinois to visit friends and family and it seemed like everyone had them. I was young and didn't have much experience with out houses or a pee can. I woke up late and had to go potty, well my aunt said I could use the pee can instead of going out in the night to the out house, unless I wanted to, so I chose the can, but she said, before I went in there. "Now make sure you don't upset the can" I thought, she meant, don't make the can mad, so I was very careful not to make the can mad. :embarassed:

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We had a one holer until i was in the second grade. The news paper was for more than reading back in those days:smile2:. It was cold in the winter, hot in the summer and wet when it rained:eek:oooh:. Mom always cooked on the wood burning stove and it doubled as the main source of heat in the winter. Also had a draw well back then and took baths by heating the water on the stove and pouring it into a wash tub. Always raised animals and a garden for most of what we ate. There were 9 of us kids and we didn't know no better. That was back in the good ole days but we were sure proud when we moved closer to town and had indoor plumbing:smile2:.

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I lived outside of a small town on a farm and as a kid our town built a beautiful outhouse in city park. Well another small town 4 miles away which was our hated arch rivial would not be outdone!! They put their heads together (maybe that was problem) and came up with the idea to build a 2-story outhouse!! Well she was a thing of beauty I must admit!! Only problem is they cut the top hole right over the bottom hole!!! :eek:oooh: So person on top was sitting right directly over bottom. You get the picture!!!:crazy:Everyone got a good laugh so much they never changed it!! People came from miles around to see this engineering feat of "she look good on paper". It was still standing 10 years ago when I went home to visit.

16. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dayton for adding the picture.After reading many of the replys, I can see that many of us didn't live sheltered lives. One halloween a group of us boys turned one over with a mean local man inside.We took a hay rope and tied it to a 50 Merc. When this man went inside, the rope was raised high and the mercury moved forward. Of course we all took off and left him rope and all. Don't know how he got out. When I got older I felt really bad about being a part of this. He died later on and I finally told his wife about it. She said he probably deserved it.

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    sounds like the lady that sold the hemi to JOE DIRT .
    funny stories everyone.

18. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Johnny in ref: to heating the water for baths. I remember having a cattle trough filled with water and left setting in the sun until evening and each of us took our turn in the water. When it got colder we also heated it on the stove and added it to the trough. We lived so rough that we thought indoor plumbing was our first miracle.:big_smile:

19. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Wasn't all that long ago, and not really a chapter of my life I'd lable "The Good Ole Days" !986-1989. I'd been raised with indoor plumbing and hot water. Most likely I was just soft, but at the time, it seemed to be a step backward. I hated all three years we lived there, but I think the experience has made me more appreciative of the "little" things.

Jon

20. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Out houses have never went away we still have them today. In the places far from the house like down on our hunting property, back of the farm , and porta jons every where. LOL I'm only 35 but I can not ever remember not having an outhouse.